Windows 7 Notepad error, not in right-click on desktop menu under "new"!

Hey Microsoft I love Windows 7 but I'm having a problem with the registry or at least that's what I believe to be to be the problem.

When ever I right-click on my desktop and go to "New" and try to make a new .txt document the Notepad option is missing!  I had no problem and then went to sleep and woke up and got on my computer and noticed hey, Notepad is gone!  I still have notepad.exe in the system32 folder and I tried searching for a fix, I tried editing the registry and now I have an option called Application under the "New" Menu but instead of saying Notepad it says Application but it does create a new .txt document.  Any way I can restore it to say notepad instead of Application?  I tried a system restore but I only have one restore point for some un-known reason that doesn't date back to before this happened.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2019 Views 10,795 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
The registry damage is unlikely to have been caused randomly. Your system has been changed in a way that few installed apps would need. I would save data and rebuild.

The Notepad New item is relatively easy to recreate, but I doubt this is the only feature you will find changed by whatever Malware did this.

Add items to the New menu (aka ShellNew entries).url

If you open "Default Programs" in Control Panel, you will probably find the .txt extension changed. See 'associate a filetype or protocol...", and scroll down to .txt. Click the "Change" button.
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.