Windows 7 does not boot into any mode (Normal or safe), neither the Recovery partition nor the recovery discs work

Hi,
          I use acer laptop with Windows 7 Home Basic (64 bit) (dual booting with Ubuntu). One day I updated Adobe Flash player plugin in windows,  and before the update could finish, a blue screen of death appeared and windows restarted. Since then I can not boot into normal or safe mode.

In normal mode Windows 7 restarts when the Windows logo is being displayed.
In safe mode it restarts after reaching AtiPcie.sys file. It looks like some driver problem.
Moreover, the Recovery partition restarts in the same manner.
Even the recovery discs show the same behaviour. I am completely helpless now.

Meanwhile ubuntu is working perfectly, but I cannot mount windows partition in Ubuntu any more. Ubuntu says the partition is either inconsistent or there is some hardware failure and recommends using chkdsk /f.

The SMART status (in the disk utility of Ubuntu) says there are 13 bad sectors on HD.

What can I do to Repair the windows 7??????

System Info:
Acer Aspire 5542
Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit
AMD Athlon II X2 processor (2.0 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
2GB RAM
320 GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2020 Views 7,176 Applies to:

Hi,

·        What do you mean when you say “Even the recovery discs show the same behavior"?

·        Do you get blue screen error when computer boots up?

Remove all the external device connected to your computer except keyboard and mouse and start the computer to check if issue persists.

I would suggest you to make the CD/DVD in BIOS as first boot device and then start the recovery from the disc and check if it helps.

Method 1: You can also try System Restore from the Windows Recovery Environment and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Method 2: If you receive blue screen error then follow the steps in link:

Resolving stop (blue screen) errors in Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Note: See under the section “If you can't start Windows at all

Method 3: If startup repair fails then you can try the steps from the link to troubleshoot the issue:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for replying.
First of all answers to your questions:
Q1:
What do you mean when you say “Even the recovery discs show the same behavior"?
A:
Let me clear first that, I have fair knowledge about using the bootable discs. So when I insert the recovery disc, what happens is this:
1)First of all a Progress bar showing the "Windows is loading files....." comes up.
2)After loading the files, the logo of Windows comes.
3)After that logo, a black screen with "Please wait a moment" in the center appears. Screen remains in this state for long time (10-15 minutes) and then laptop restarts suddenly.

Q2:
Do you get blue screen error when computer boots up?
A:
Yes. When Windows logo disappears, then for a fraction of second a blue screen appears. But it disappears as soon as it comes up.

Since, neither recovery discs are helping, nor the recovery partition so I am utterly helpless in following any of the options related to them.
But it looks like I haven't tried the option of using Windows Installation disc. Acer didn't provide me one.
Where can I get this without paying original price money?

PS:
I am having a wild guess here, it seems that this issue must be in the hardware. I shall get to the Acer Gallery.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello KapsDD,

I noticed that there were some disk problems listed. That being the case, let's start with a chkdsk from WinRE:

1. Tap F8 during startup to get to the Startup Options menu.

2. Choose Repair Windows.

3. After choosing the location and logging on, click on the Command Prompt option.

4. Type the following command followed by the ENTER key:

CHKDSK C: /F

5. Let CHKDSK run to completion. It may take some time so be patient and do not restart the computer while it is running.

6. When CHKDSK has completed, restart and see if we can get into normal and/or safe mode.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Matthew_Ha

Sorry this didn't help.