Windows 7 computer failed to start, attempt to perform repair installation gives an error: no operating system.

Original Title: missing MSVFW32.dll

MY Toshiba laptop satellite L455D-S5976 Windows 7 32 has crashed Ihave tried the recovery disk the repair disk. says that there is no operating system. Comes up missing OS.

[Moved from feedback]

Answer
Answer

Hi LindaPierce,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. 

From your description, I understand that your Windows 7 computer failed to start, attempt to perform repair installation gives you an error: no operating system. I will be glad to assist you.

I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below and update us on the status of the issue.

Method 1: Refer to the following link.

Windows Vista or Windows 7 no longer starts and the Startup Repair tool does not fix the problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934540

If the issue still persists, go to next method.

Method 2: You may want to run Fix MBR command to fix MBR (Master Boot Record) corruption issues. To do this, follow the steps outlined in the article below

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Method 3: Let’s run chkdsk from Win RE using Windows 7 Operating System disk.

Note: Run CHKDSK until no errors are found.

a.    Turn on your computer, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then turn off your computer.

b.    Restart your computer.

c.    Press any key when prompted to do so, and then follow any instructions that appear.

d.    When the Install Windows page appears, click Repair your computer to access system recovery options, select command prompt.

e.    Type “CHKDSK C: /F” in the command prompt without quotes.

CHKDSK Disclaimer:

While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Also refer to the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Method 4: Your hard disk could be malfunctioning or damaged, you may want to remove your hard drive and hook it to a different computer as an external drive, backup your important data and perform a clean format installation.

Important: Formatting the hard drive will wipe out ALL data, programs and user settings that you have on the computer. If there is any information on this computer that you do not want to lose, or is not backed up, you will need to make backups before proceeding with the FORMAT/CLEAN INSTALL.

For any Windows related issues please feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2020 Views 1,290 Applies to: