Windows 7, Boot Failure - Missing operating system + hard drive

Hi All,
I'm running out of ideas and thought I would try this.  I believe it is a problem either with the MBR and am hoping to (1) get everything working again or atleast (2) recover the contents of my hard drive.

I have a Lenovo Y550 with Windows 7, 64bit, Home Premium.  I have a Windows Install disk but I still cannot boot Windows 7.  Here is what I have learned/tried.

1. With the Windows Install disk, when I arrive to the "System Recovery Options", there is no operating system or hard drive displayed.  I went to the Lenovo website and downloaded the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver".  But when I click on "Load Drivers", and try to install it, I get an error message "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".  

Did I get the right driver?  I downloaded it from here and it seemed to be the best option.

2. When I try the System Recovery Tools, I get the following:
- Startup Recovery searches for problems, attempts repairs, and cannot repair the computer automatically.  Diagnosis and repair details indicates "MBR is corrupt".
- System Restore does not work because I cannot select a Windows installation
- System Image, I don't have one... hindsight is 20/20
- Windows Memory Diagnostic, cannot be completed... an error is preventing completion.

3. I found a similar question (link below) and followed some of the instructions.  In Command Prompt, I tried bootrec.exe and I get the following error message: "A device attached to the system is not functioning."  I'm finding out this is very bad.  

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
J

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2018 Views 49,521 Applies to:
Answer
Hi All,
I'm running out of ideas and thought I would try this.  I believe it is a problem either with the MBR and am hoping to (1) get everything working again or atleast (2) recover the contents of my hard drive.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
J

Sounds to me like your hard drive has failed.

35 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.