Windows 7 Blue screen on start up. __

As soon as the desktop loads after logon, Windows crashes and gives the following crash details ...

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
  OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   2057

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:   7f
  BCP1:   0000000F
  BCP2:   0001017C
  BCP3:   00000000
  BCP4:   00000000
  OS Version:   6_1_7600
  Service Pack:   0_0
  Product:   768_1

Dump file available if it's of use

Computer then tries to restart but doesn't get past to BIOS and hangs. After forced shutdown and restart the computer will restart in safe mode and safe mode with networking

Compatability advisor suggested uninstalling I Tunes beforehand which i've done. I tried re-installing I tunes from safe mode but it stopped saying there was an error setting up stereo output.

Computer is a Dell XPS420 2.8Ghz quad core, NVIDIA 8800 grahics card, 1Tb HDD partioned into 2 drives. One internet search returned this interesting article
http://venturebeat.com/2009/09/02/massive-memory-leak-uncovered-in-windows-7-release/

Could this be something to do with the crash?

Any help appreciated.

R

Answer
Answer
In Safe Mode can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and then make available via Windows Live Skydrive or similar site?

Also, in Safe Mode can you configure the computer to "clean boot" and see if you can restart in Normal Mode - follow Step 1 in the following MS KB article to clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Auggy,

Tried your advice but Skydrive is showing a problem and saying come back in a few minutes, however I do have some good news. I tried the clean install and worked through, adding in 1 software manufacturer at a time, the culprit turned out to be an expired version of Norton 360. This program is not compatible with Windows 7, I've completely uninstalled it and set up some new security.

This appears to have solved all the issues (fingers crossed)

Many thanks for all your help and recommendations. Sincerely appreciated.

May I recommend that in the compatability advisor before upgrading Windows 7 that maybe Norton 360 is added as a non compatible program?

Regards

R

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2019 Views 34,068 Applies to: