Windows 7 Backup Error 0x80070002

When I try to use window's backup utility I get "The System cannot find the file specified." error after about 80%.  I have the RC version 7100 and I am backing up to an external 1TB harddrive (Seagate FreeAgent) from a 640 GB drive partitioned into 40 GB xp dirve (50% used), 80GB windows 7 drive (60% used), 160GB Documents drive (90% used, mostly itunes tv shows), and the rest for live TV (10% used).  I'v tried turning off the system image feature and unchecking locations that might have files that currently in use.  I want to backup all of C (xp drive), the system info and user profiles from D (Windows 7 drive) and my java programs on E (Documents drive).  I can backup the rest myself manually.
Sorry if this is too much info but I've had 3 harddrive fail on me in 2 weeks earlier this summer and lost everything and I don't want to start over again so any help would be greatly appretiated!
 

Question Info


Last updated November 9, 2018 Views 93,638 Applies to:
Answer

Hello, JProgrammer5

We appreciate you helping test Windows 7.

I am happy to offer some suggestions, but you will need to go to the Windows 7 Support forums at the following link for help with troubleshooting: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

You may want to run a CheckDisk or your favorite hard drive checker. You can run CheckDisk by going to Start, right click the drive, choose Properties, go to the Tools tab and click Check Now.

If the CheckDisk is clear, you may want to try doing a System File scan by going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator. You may be prompted to continue. In the Command Prompt type the following command and press enter: sfc /scannow

If you are worried about data loss, you should be able to back up those files manually or at the very least, all of your documents and personal files, movies, etc.

I hope this helps.


David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi guys,  

we had same problem. 2 hard drive in RAID 1,  but WindowsImageBackup every time stop with error 0x80070002. 

For my case help this: 

1.) Uninstall All Nvidia driver
2.) Uninstall Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software


After uninstalling this softwares and drivers, WindowsImageBackup work fine. 

Best regards

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.