Why can I not mount a vhd file made with Windows backup?

I have 64-bit Windows 7, and I have made a backup using Windows Backup & Restore feature by using the Options for all the default Data Files, as well as including the checkbox for making a system image of the drive C. The backup was made to an external disk attached as drive E on a USB connection of the PC. The backup operation completed successfully.

Afterwards, in order to check the data, I used Widnows Restore feature to see whether I could access files and folder or search for them in the resulting backup, I was indeed able to access everything I tested, and I was able actually to restore one that I tried for testing as well. So all is good with this part.

However, I also wanted to test whether I could mount the resulting vhd file from the external disk by using Windows Disk Management feature. I followed the instructions for doing so from here a Microsoft website:

a. Open Start Menu, right-click on Computer and click Manage.

b. Click on Disk Management.

c. Click Action -> Attach VHD and specify the external hard disk location on your computer.

However, when I tried doing so, I got an error saying, "The sector size of the physical disk on which the virtual disk resides is not supported." It will not mount. What do you suggest at this point?

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2019 Views 8,189 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

The wbadmin program is purposely limited on desktops. The server version has much more functionality. I've used the server version of wbadmin.exe to restore individual files to entire partitions from a desktop's backup image.

But not everyone has access to a Windows Server. So when you need to access the contents of an image backup outside a recovery environment, use a third party utility or Microsoft's vhdmount.exe command line tool. It's still available as part of the Virtual Server 2005 R2 Sp2 installation package. Just do a custom install and only install the vhdmount.exe file.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.