Unmountable Boot Volume, Won't Boot Installation CD

Hello and thanks in advance to anybody who can provide any insight at all here.

I'm using:
Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop
Windows 7 Professional

I was just trying to catch up on Lost today when Flash completely devoured my computer. I struggled with it for a good hour before finally giving up and just turning the computer off. Now when I try to start my computer I'm given a choice between starting Windows normally and launching the Startup Repair. If I launch the Startup Repair I just get a black screen, and after a couple minutes a mouse cursor, and that's all. If I start Windows normally, I'm greeted with the blue screen, telling me I have an unmountable boot volume and the following error codes:

0x000000ED
0x86179030
0xC0000185
0x00000000
0x00000000

I put in my installation CD and booted from that, but that produces the same results as launching the Startup Repair: a black screen with a mouse cursor. I've tried safe mode, last good configuration, lo-res, etc. but that all just blue screens.

So now I have a computer that will blue screen if I try to start it from the HDD or give me a black screen with a cursor if I try to start it from the CD. What am I to do? I have never had a problem with my computer I haven't been able to fix, but I am absolutely lost as to what to do here. If anybody has any advice at all I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you again, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

Question Info

Last updated August 21, 2018 Views 15,856 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
A CRC error indicates a serious hardware error, not a logical error. If the WD diagnostic program can fix it by marking it off-limits then you can reuse the disk although there is an increased risk that the rot might spread. If it cannot fix it then you must replace it. If your friend has partition manipulation tools then he might be able to transfer the Dell recovery partition to the new disk. This was easy under Win2000/WinXP but is quite difficult under Windows 7. If this was my show then I would ring Dell, explain the situation and ask for advice.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.