Unable to restore XP backup files to Windows 7 - access denied

edited: Trying to restore XP backed files on Windows 7 using  NT Backup Restore Utility  Error- ‘This media has been secured. You do not have the proper privileges'

I have a backup of my personal files on disk in which I backed up on a computer using Windows XP Professional. Unfortunately this computer is no longer working and I have since bought a new computer which uses Windows 7 Home Premium. I download from Microsoft, the NT Backup Restore Utility onto my new computer so that I can restore my personal files onto my new computer. When I try restoring, I keep getting a box appearing with the title 'Media Security Violation' with the message 'This media has been secured. You do not have the proper privileges'. I think this is because when I backed up my files on my Windows XP computer, I password protected it.

Is there anyway I can enter the password or anyway I can by-pass the password so that I can access my files.

I backed up using a disk on a Iomega ZIP250 drive.

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2018 Views 5,247 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Belly021268,

I would suggest you to runNTBackup utility as an administrator. To do this, follow the steps below:

1.   Click on  Start button > type in ntbackup.exe in the search box

2.   Now right click on  ntbackup.exe that appears under programs (On top) and select “run as administrator”

Now check if you can restore the files

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.