System Restore / volsnap not working with Win 7 Home Premium.

System Restore / volsnap is not working with Win 7 Home Premium.  I installed Win 7 in a 103 GB partition which now has 87 GB of free space.  Yet System Restore is not working, and the event log says
"The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied."
  When I go to the "Event Log Online Help" it says:
"Click Start, and then click Computer.
  1. Right-click any of the volumes listed, and then click Configure Shadow Copies. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue. "

However when I right-click the drives, "Configure Shadow Copies" does not show.  System Restore is a really nice feature that I've been using since Windows Me came out, and I really want to get it back.  I can't make the partition any larger because the drive is only 120 GB.  MS says the system requirements for Win 7 are much less than 103 GB, so I'm at a loss as to what I need to do.  I only have one user ID, and it does have administrator authority. 

Would some kind soul please enlighten me as to how I can get System Restore / volsnap working with Win 7?  TIA

Answer
Answer
This seems to revolve around the exact circumstances of the Windows 7 installation :- 1) what version of Windows 7 was installed ? - mine was Windows 7 Professional FULL version; 2) what installation options were used ? - I used the 'Custom (advanced)' option, with no further parameters selected (default install); 3) what was the previous system ? - mine was dual-boot with XP Pro on C drive/Win 7 Ultimate RC7100 on D drive. I installed to the C drive, and then had dual-boot Win 7 Pro / Win 7 Ultimate. I subsequently removed Win 7 Ultimate. The solution, for me, was a complete re-installation of Windows 7 on my C drive using the 'Custom (advanced)' install option with the 'Format Disk' parameter option selected ie. a truely 'clean install'; after moving all my data to my D drive. Installation without this formatting seems to be a form of Upgrading, and this creates a huge Windows.old folder and leaves behind residual rubbish on the C drive, probably causing the Volsnap problems. When I looked at System Volume Information after my first (problem)install it initially showed as 0mb, then showed 310mb after I created a Restore Point - I then looked at the contents properly and found that it had files totalling over 4GB. I deleted this data (using Knoppix), but the Volsnap problem remained. It is possible that these problems do not occur when using an UPGRADE version of the Windows 7 dvd, and I have also never tried the Upgrade option with my FULL version dvd.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
This condition occurred on my computer as well.

Other forum threads reported this condition occurring on computers that had a dual-boot configuration of Windows 7 and Windows XP, but this was not my scenario.  I performed a clean installation of Windows 7 Home Premium.  However, those discussions did help me think about the possibility that configuration and/or system files from previous operating systems may still exist on the C volume and, if so, they may be contributing to the issue.

I found several such files, deleted them, then restarted the computer.  Aftewards, the condition did not occur again.  The deleted files were:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
BOOT.BAK
BOOT.INI.SAVED
BOOTSECT.BAK
CONFIG.SYS
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
NETDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Hope this helps

P.S.: I accidentally clicked "Propose as Answer" to bptechnet's last response when I meant to click my own post.  I'm sorry about that.  Then, I learned from other threads that I shouldn't click "Propose as Answer" to my own post.  So, I'm sorry about that too.  I'm still a beginner at posting threads. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2018 Views 16,035 Applies to: