System Event Notification Service

Within the last 2 weeks, my wife's computer has, upon start up, been giving the following error message:

"Failed to connect to a Windows Service: Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service did not respond."

The computer in question is an HP Mini-110 running Windows 7 Starter.

I have poured over the previous forums about similar questions but there are no answers which will work.

Here are some of my issues:

1) I am not able to connect to the internet via wi-fi at all as the Network and Sharing Centre tells me that there are no connections available even though I am sitting beside my router and connected to the internet on another computer.

2) I have gone to Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools. When I click on the Event Viewer to see an event log I get the following message: "Event Log service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running." Therefore I am not able to see what events there may, or may not be, to provide additional information.

3) As suggested on other threads to similar questions, I have gone to the Start menu, typed in Services, right clicked on Services and selected  Run as Administrator. When the "Services" window appears I have gone down to System Event Notification Service; the Startup Type is Automatic, but the Status continually shows "Starting" and never shows anything else.

On the same "Services" window, the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper shows the same information; Starting and Automatic.

4) I am not able to open my Norton Internet Security to run a full system scan to see if there are any viruses/malware/etc to be removed.

5) I tried conncecting to the internet using a cable directly to the router. When I open Internet Explorer it almost immediately displays the (Not Repsonding) message and within about 15 seconds the IE window closes. So at this point I am unable to connect to the internet via any method.

In responding, please bear in mind that I am not a computer programmer. I'm resourceful, but haven't had any formal computer training.

I appreciate the understanding and any help that will prevent this computer from becoming a paperweight.

Answer
Answer

I would check the status of Services.

Click on the Start button and select Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Locate System Event Notication Service in the list. Check that it has started and that the StartUp type is Automatic. If it is not set to Automatic right click and select Properties, General tab. There is a box after StartUp type. The options are available on a drop down by clicking on the arrow down to the right of the box. Make the change and click on Apply and OK. Restart the computer and check whether it has started.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2019 Views 1,286 Applies to: