SFC cannot fix corrupted files in Windows 7 -- Windows Update for May 2015?

I believe we have a system wide problem!  No, I am not kidding.  I routinely run SFC on computers and it almost always returns a report of no problems or not often but sometimes reports that it found problems and fixed them.  Rarely, it reports corruption found and not fixed.  In those instances the only way I know to fix this in Windows 7 is to re-build the OS.

In the past several days I have run SFC on 5 different computers all running Windows 7, but in different places, used by different people. 

All report SFC found corrupted files and was unable to fix them.

I do not know if there is corruption, if SFC is itself incorrect, let alone how to fix this.  There is suspicion that the May 2015 patches may have caused this.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 21, 2019 Views 32,881 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you.  It does.  I appreciate the explanation.

What that tells me is that these particular corruptions are unlikely to cause a specific problem very often. 

But, the big remaining question is if I remove the update, is there any consequence of importance?

I have just updated my Acer laptop. Installed KB 3022345 and ran System File Checker. No corrupted files.

The computer had not received the April or May updates. The  KB 3022345 was the updated version and this experience suggests that this version of the update may not be creating file corruption.

More feedback from others would obviously be welcome.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute
I UNISTALLED KB UPDATE AND RAN SFC /SCANNOW WITH NO MISSING OR CORUPT FILES.
I UNISTALLED KB UPDATE AND RAN SFC /SCANNOW WITH NO MISSING OR CORUPT FILES
I UNISTALLED KB UPDATE AND RAN SFC /SCANNOW WITH NO MISSING OR CORUPT FILES
Do you get corrupted files if you reinstall the updated version of KB 3022345?
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Up until yesterday, I had not heard of a single case where KB3022345 had been installed where SFC did NOT report corruption.  Yesterday, I heard the first case in which it did not.  I can only guess, but my guess is that that update has been fixed.  I certainly hope so. 

However, there are a lot of PCs out there that are operating with corrupted system files and don't know it because thy do not even know of SFC.  I have yet to hear of a case in which someone experienced a negative affect.

I HID IT SO IT WOULD NOT REINSTALL i GOT TWO OTHER SECURITY UPDATES RIGHT AWAY
Would one of those have been KB3035583 by any chance? Canadian Tech has referred to this in an earlier post in this thread (apparently it allows MS adware!) - I suspect (as maybe you do) that there is a connection between this and 3022345. I hid it and (yet again) after hiding it says 'recommended' rather than important. - R.
No longer active in this community from July 2018 - Regards to all - RW

Thanks Gerry - I'll give this a try and report back...Ric.

Update - I haven't tried reinstalling yet but I did uninstall the earlier offering of KB3035583 and when I then went to hidden updates KB3022345 was downgraded to 'Optional'...Mmm!

No longer active in this community from July 2018 - Regards to all - RW