Runtime error - Program: C:\\windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe at Windows 7 startup black screen of death can't boot into safe mode

Runtime error - Program: C:\\windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe at Windows 7 startup & shutdown.
Applies To: Windows | Windows XP | Performance and Maintenance

Original Title: Program: C:\\windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe.

States "System had to terminate in an unusal way.  "Runtime error" 

I get a black screen with a mouse cursur and this eeror. Can't boot into safe mode in any type. I just get a black screen and a cursor. I can hit shift and get sticky keys to work but nothing else works...

Tried useing repair and roll back neigher of them work.

I used the repair prompt to remove the driver and all files in the driver directory NV*.* and still nothing... Tried removeing some registry stuff still nothing...

THis started from C: drive needing a chkdsk and nothing hapend but this eeror... I guess I'm off to reinstall win7 and I hope this dosen't hapen again...

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2019 Views 12,290 Applies to:
Reply In reply to deleted message
The hard drive is 2 adata SDD raid0 off the mobo... they are about 2 months old.

Deleteing the Drivers was a last attempt... hacking apart the registry was just a beyond despreit move. online I saw that the only way to fix this was take it into someone else and then they do a fresh install...

I wish I had a system Image backup... that might have fixed it.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I've got the same exact problem ("Visual C++ Runtime Error! ... c:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe" followed by the Black Screen of Doom), but with a different natural history. 

BAD NEWS:  NOTHING WORKED FOR ME.  Nothing I tried fixed the problem and I'm about to do a clean install.  Before I do that though, I'll replace the video card with one based on a non-NVIDIA chip-set.  Fingers crossed for a miracle.

For those that are interested, I'll list what I tried that did not work.  Afterward, I'll describe how I got here for benefit of others with the same problem.

If a new graphics card works, I'll update this post ASAP.

SUMMARY OF WHAT DID NOT WORK:
Many of these were offered as suggestions on the many troubleshooting forums you''ll find in a Google search on the Visual C++ error message or the CLASSPNP.SYS hang in Safe Mode boot.
  • Restore BIOS to default settings
  • Safe Mode -- hangs up at CLASSPNP.SYS
  • System Restore -- couldn't do this since I had to reimage the HDD and the system image apparently does not transfer system restore points
  • System Image -- actually introduced this problem in the first place...  (I reimaged trying to fix system hangs and slowness.  Heavy sigh...)
  • CHKDSK -- fixed several errors on the drive but didn't resolve anything
  • SFC - this will not run, giving a "system repair pending" error that is bogus.  It will scan if you use "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows"   ... in my case there are no errors
  • DEL NVVSVC.EXE just makes it fail sooner
  • DEL c:\windows\system32\codeintegrity\bootchache.com does nothing
  • Replacing CLASSPNP.SYS with copy from Repair Disk
  • Replacing the NVIDIA grphics card with an old PCI SVGA card
  • In-place Windows 7 reinstall - forbidden when booting from Windows 7 install disk; only permissible when Install is run within a functional Windows environment.  Go figure.

SUMMARY OF HOW I GOT HERE:
I updated my NVIDIA drivers one week ago; using the NVIDIA overclock tool produced a BSOD, and restarted.  Afterward, I uninstalled a number of obsolete programs and, of course, several Windows Automatic Updates were installed.  Somewhere in the sequence I updated Intel Matrix Storage Manager from v.6x to their most recent product (different name; can't recall).

At some point during all this, uninstaller hanged.  After a cold start, the system booted but with very sluggish system response and frequent hangs (up to 30 sec).  System Performance monitor indicated numerous hard faults in memory.  This led me to believe BIOS was incorrectly set somewhere along the line, so I restored to default.  No joy. 

Backup and Restore would not enable thanks to Acronis (WTF???  Bloatware?) so I uninstalled Acronis but Backups would not run, presumably thanks to the system hangs.  I was able to boot to DOS prompt with Repair Disk and copy My Documents etc to NAS.  Thank God!

Tried to revert to earlier system restore points.  No change.  Very strange!  Hardware!  Booting onto Safe Mode worked fine business -- but System Backup will not run in Safe mode.  GRRRR!

Here I should have made a full back up with Acronis or Norton or anything but I didn't, since I had a fairly recent Win 7 System Image and regular backup files made before this malfunction sequence.

Decided to reimage my drives.  Tested network access first, double checked I copied my files, deleted the system volume and went for a fresh start. 

"System Restore successful.  Please reboot."

HAHAHA.  JUST KIDDING!  NOT SUCCESSFUL AT ALL!   IN FACT IT'S WORSE!

Windows appears to load but when the graphics mode switches to hi-res it gives the Visual C++ "runtime error" and Black Screens.   Selecting "OK" clears the error box and leaves you with a mouse pointer and nothing else.  The HDD lights flicker so it seems Windows is working but without GUI. 

Booting into Safe Mode was really fun.  IT WOULDN'T!  In fact, I could only make the Repair Disk boot from a power-off start.  Even they would Black Screen on me.  WTF?  This is from a CD boot, so why???? 

Suspect hardware trouble and pull video card.  Replace GeFORCE PCIe with olde-tyme PCI card hoping for standard SVGA mode.  Nothing.  Same exact error.  Seems olde-tyme PCI card is NVIDIA so who knows?  Other cards in the parts bin are AGP etc...

Computer store closed, so I delete the RAID volume and revert to IDE settings, figuring Repair Disk and Install Disk search the existing Windows installation and clue in on it somehow...  reimaged onto clean HDD.  Weirdness goes away.  I can finally, reliably, boot Repair Disk and Win 7 install disk.

Spend days online via laptop searching for answers.  Try everything per above.  No joy.

Today is Saturday and I've got time to go to the computer store for a graphics card from a different manufacturer as a last resort at resolution.

If this does not work, I'm starting from scratch and will spend the next week or two reinstalling, updating, and reconfiguring all my (highly technical) work software.  Thank the LORD My Documents are mirrored!

Total time lost to Windows design flaw + meaningless error message + half-arsed maintenance tools:  3-business days so far, another 40 to 50 hours anticipated in the next two weeks. 

As entertainment, after I reinstall Windows,  I'll restore the image to a separate drive and play with it while I reconfigure all my tools and applications.

Thanks, Microsoft, for making your OS obscure and idiot-proof to the point it cannot be corrected or restored except under conditions that fit your narrowly prescribed limits.

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Hey I have the same problem as OP, though I'm not very bright with computers... So i was wondering if I could fix this problem by re-installing windows 7 or something... thank you on beforehand

Sorry this didn't help.

You can try "System Restore". 

In case you don't have any restore points, a newbie here found another risky solution that is worth a try: 

Please check it out. I have had the same problem and thought that I am going to reinstall my OS but I found this and now I am responding to you using the computer that was recovered by the method.

Hope this helps. =)

Sorry this didn't help.

No, please don't. I mean, it's sad that you have to lose your settings and all and start from scratch. Please check this solution if you think you've reached the point of not having anything to lose except to gain by this simple method.

The blogspot is new but hope it helps.

Sorry this didn't help.