Question
Applies to

Repair disc does not recognize external USB hard drive, but works from USB DVD ok.

jefsoltor asked on

I have a very frustrating problem I've seen discussed before, but there was not a useful answer posted.  My Windows 7 Repair disk, will not recognize the USB attached hard drive where chose to store my image during the create image process. I tried saving the image (9.81GB) to DVDs, but after feeding in 8 blank DVDs I gave up. Windows suggested the image would be only 12GB so I tried saving the image to multiple DVDs, but no luck.

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook (AOD257-1679) with no optical drive built in. My BIOS has the facility to boot from USB devices like a USB DVD, or a USB Hard Drive. When I boot from the USB DVD, the repair disk loads and seems to function normally. However, when I try to point where the saved image is, no luck. Is there a way to incorporate a generic USB driver when I make the Windows 7 Repair disk? The external USB drive is fine when I boot Windows 7 normally. Since the repair disk boots from a USB DVD, why canm't it see a USD hard drive? Both are enabled in the BIOS.

Does Windows 7 preclude laptops and netbooks from the repair from image process?  Unlike a desktop, there is only room for 1 hard drive in my netbook, and I have already mentioned that Windows 7 can be installed from a USB DVD, and the Repair disk boots normally  from a USB DVD. Why does the repair disk not see my USB hard drive? I do not want to go through a fresh install, that is why I made an image in the first place.

This is incredibly frustrating.

10 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Tryx3 replied on

About the Recovery Disk - I only read the first page of that link to make sure it was describing Recovery Disks decently.  I had not seen that they wanted money or I'd have suggested another one that would have been for a full installation ISO image download for nothing [rather a big download though].  I don't have the link to hand and I seem to be too late anway.

Edit - Found it

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads

[the Win7x64 Home Premium download is 3.1GB so I've never done it personally but have seen it recommended by other people in the Answers Forum so I think it works]

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540
HTC Desire X, MyPhoneExplorer
2 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
jefsoltor replied on

perfectly. I did try 2 image restorations first, and although they appeared to fuction normally, and after setting the partition as active, they would not boot for some reason. I did get one error message I was expecting. I forget the exact error, but it had to do with the size of my volume. I was warned on another forum that I may encounter this error if my volume was not  small enough using shrink. I think I was at 107 GB for the 120 GB drive. This maybe too close.

At the end of the day, creating/restoring an image was only a best effort, and not exactly what I wanted anyway. I wanted to do a baseline installation, free of all junk. I've installed operating systems on many desktops, and I've always preferred a native install plus drivers, to reverse engineering a retail install loaded with junk. When I compare the registry file in a fresh install vs a reverse engineered install, the fresh install is infinitelt cleaner.

This whole process was facilitated by the lack of an installation disc. With your help, I was able to use a downloaded ISO with the eicfg removal tool mod. At no time was I trying to get around any licensing activation. I am thrilled with the rsults. The SSD is positively fantastic!

I just don't understand why Acer and Asus don't offer a Windows installation disc. Both companies do on their desktop models. What turned out to be a real surprise was the quality and useability of the Drivers and Applications Disc Acer e-Recovery can create. I'll ammend my instructions for another couple of forums to include taking a driver inventor first, before swapping out the drives. There are a lot of great tools that can do this in one or two clicks, including a complete list of the installed programs. I had one tinyissue when installing the drivers on the fresh install. Acer did not put dates on the drivers, and the WAN driver had 3 to choose from. The revision numbers were only partly helpful. Turns out to use WAN, which I am doing now, you need parts of the Intel WAN driver and the Atheros WAN driver. I found this out after the fact when I remembered I created an installed drivers list using AIDA64 Extreme.

Thaks again. I am going to mark this as solved.

Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress