Repair disc does not recognize external USB hard drive, but works from USB DVD ok.

I have a very frustrating problem I've seen discussed before, but there was not a useful answer posted.  My Windows 7 Repair disk, will not recognize the USB attached hard drive where chose to store my image during the create image process. I tried saving the image (9.81GB) to DVDs, but after feeding in 8 blank DVDs I gave up. Windows suggested the image would be only 12GB so I tried saving the image to multiple DVDs, but no luck.

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook (AOD257-1679) with no optical drive built in. My BIOS has the facility to boot from USB devices like a USB DVD, or a USB Hard Drive. When I boot from the USB DVD, the repair disk loads and seems to function normally. However, when I try to point where the saved image is, no luck. Is there a way to incorporate a generic USB driver when I make the Windows 7 Repair disk? The external USB drive is fine when I boot Windows 7 normally. Since the repair disk boots from a USB DVD, why canm't it see a USD hard drive? Both are enabled in the BIOS.

Does Windows 7 preclude laptops and netbooks from the repair from image process?  Unlike a desktop, there is only room for 1 hard drive in my netbook, and I have already mentioned that Windows 7 can be installed from a USB DVD, and the Repair disk boots normally  from a USB DVD. Why does the repair disk not see my USB hard drive? I do not want to go through a fresh install, that is why I made an image in the first place.

This is incredibly frustrating.

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2018 Views 13,330 Applies to:
Answer

About the Recovery Disk - I only read the first page of that link to make sure it was describing Recovery Disks decently.  I had not seen that they wanted money or I'd have suggested another one that would have been for a full installation ISO image download for nothing [rather a big download though].  I don't have the link to hand and I seem to be too late anway.

Edit - Found it

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads

[the Win7x64 Home Premium download is 3.1GB so I've never done it personally but have seen it recommended by other people in the Answers Forum so I think it works]

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

perfectly. I did try 2 image restorations first, and although they appeared to fuction normally, and after setting the partition as active, they would not boot for some reason. I did get one error message I was expecting. I forget the exact error, but it had to do with the size of my volume. I was warned on another forum that I may encounter this error if my volume was not  small enough using shrink. I think I was at 107 GB for the 120 GB drive. This maybe too close.

At the end of the day, creating/restoring an image was only a best effort, and not exactly what I wanted anyway. I wanted to do a baseline installation, free of all junk. I've installed operating systems on many desktops, and I've always preferred a native install plus drivers, to reverse engineering a retail install loaded with junk. When I compare the registry file in a fresh install vs a reverse engineered install, the fresh install is infinitelt cleaner.

This whole process was facilitated by the lack of an installation disc. With your help, I was able to use a downloaded ISO with the eicfg removal tool mod. At no time was I trying to get around any licensing activation. I am thrilled with the rsults. The SSD is positively fantastic!

I just don't understand why Acer and Asus don't offer a Windows installation disc. Both companies do on their desktop models. What turned out to be a real surprise was the quality and useability of the Drivers and Applications Disc Acer e-Recovery can create. I'll ammend my instructions for another couple of forums to include taking a driver inventor first, before swapping out the drives. There are a lot of great tools that can do this in one or two clicks, including a complete list of the installed programs. I had one tinyissue when installing the drivers on the fresh install. Acer did not put dates on the drivers, and the WAN driver had 3 to choose from. The revision numbers were only partly helpful. Turns out to use WAN, which I am doing now, you need parts of the Intel WAN driver and the Atheros WAN driver. I found this out after the fact when I remembered I created an installed drivers list using AIDA64 Extreme.

Thaks again. I am going to mark this as solved.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.