Recurring BSOD STOP error + Hang-up on ClassPNP.sys on safe mode

So I had this annoying error with an old motherboard, a lot of random BSOD error messages. I fixed this by buying a new motherboard. It worked for a couple days, until recently, where I've been getting BSODs on Windows startup. I did a clean install of Windows after installing the new board. 

The recurring error: In normal start up, I get a BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO error.

In safe mode: the system hangs up on the driver CLASSPNP.SYS

However, I used the recovery once already, and it worked. I don't want to do this every time I start my computer up. Using Windows 7 Professional 32bit

Mobo: ASUS: P5P43TD

CPU: Intel q6600

RAM: OCZ Gold 1066MHz DDR3

HD: WD Caviar Green 1TB

Answer
Answer

Hi gremwood,

Blue screens (BSOD’s) are mostly due to hardware and sometimes due to incompatible software.  In a lot of cases it is a corrupted driver or a driver conflict.  The most common causes of blue screens are overheating, faulty RAM, and video card problems. So I would suggest you to use the below provided steps and then check if you get to the exact issue -

Step 1:

As you are able to perform a startup repair I would suggest you to perform a Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and then use the below provided steps to check for errors. Refer to the below link for performing the startup repair -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810

Step 2:

You may try swapping RAM sticks. Also you can try using only one stick at a time and check if the issue resolves.

Step 3:

You may check if the hard disk is having errors or corrupt sectors, which is causing the issue. I would suggest you to use check disk command and check and repair for any errors on hard disk.

Warning: Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process. Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.For safety you can back up your data before using the check disk command if you can.

Use the check disk commands as follows:
a. Click Start.
b. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.
c. Type at the command prompt  “CHKDSK /P” and press ENTER to scan the disk.
d.
Type at the command prompt  “CHKDSK C: /F /R” and press ENTER to repair corrupt sectors, if there are any.

NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.
Once chkdsk completes, boot to the desktop and then check.

You may also refer to the below link for details and check using the steps provided in the article -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2019 Views 5,263 Applies to: