Possible to restore system from Windows 7 backup, not just files?

Hi...I did a Windows 7 backup through the control panel to an external drive.  When I got my replacement hard drive and went to restore from the backup, it seemed there were only options to restore files.

I remember when the drive was crashing and it was in the emergency utility, it seemed to be able to find a restore point stored in the backup on the external drive.  So for that reason, I believed that I had a an image backup.

Is there a way to tell if it's an image backup and not just a file backup?  (Or if an earlier backup is an image backup, how can one tell?) Also, whatever type of backup it is, could there be a restore point in it somehow, and if so, how could I access it?

If it is an image backup, how do I restore it as an image, instead of just copying individual files? 
Answer
Answer
Some Seagate GoFlex drives use a USB3 interface, others use a Gigabit network cable. You did not state which one yours uses. If it has a USB interface then you should try all USB ports on your machine. If it has a network interface then you need to check if networking is active on your machine while in Repair Mode, e.g. by pinging your router.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2017 Views 237 Applies to: