MacBook Pro, randomly Windows 7 doesn't start and screen goes blank

Hi, I installed Windows 7 (Ultimate 64-bit) using the BootCamp on my MacBook Pro (MBP) i7.  Installation was successful without any issues.  This is my first Mac and I primarily use Windows on my MB, so when I power it on, I press the Option key then select Windows OS.  The problem: After selecting Windows OS, randomly, Windows doesn't start and the screen goes blank.  When this happens, most of the time I have to press the power button twice and press the Option key again to restart in Windows.  Sometimes I have to hold down power button for several seconds to turn off MBP, then after waiting 15 seconds, I turn it back on to start over.  Windows seems to restart on second try every time.  I took in my MBP, twice, to Apple store Genius Bar and purchased AppleCare Protection Plan to talk to AppleCare directly and still no resolution. 

I can tell when the screen will go blank and Windows will not start, when the blinking cursor does not appear on upper left corner of the screen.  Also, I enabled OS Boot Log and nothing displays when this happens. 

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Once you are able to boot into windows 7 I would suggest you to upgrade the device drivers and check if it works. For reference click on the link provided below:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4407

Hope this helps,

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi John,

I followed the link you provided to download the device drivers.  Unfortunately the link is for MacBook Air.  I have MacBook Pro and the Boot Camp Assistant, for MacBook Pro, doesn't have an option "Download the Windows support software for this Mac".  The device drivers are included in the DVD that came with the MacBook Pro.  I've been running OS software update, on both Mac and Windows, at least once a week to keep them up-to-date.

Thanks for your reply and please let me know if there is anything else that could remedy the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem here. same computer, but win seven thirty two bits. no numbers or caps in this post because android is not properly supported by this site.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, I also have the exact same problem booting into windows 7 pro 64 bit  from my macbook, sometimes its fine sometimes just a black scrren. Did you resolve the problem? Any help appreciated!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it had something to do with him trying to use the external gfx card when it was switched off in os x or so, i do not remember exactly bc it is a while ago now. however, i think i solved using gfxcardswitcher to make him use the discrete card before rebooting and it did not happen anymore. also, update drivers of course

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem, and this last post kind of gets me on the right track.... but not 100% sure what gfxcardswitcher is...

My macbook pro seems to have issues resuming anytime I've closed the lid. I do a fair bit of presenting on my MBP so I usually have just disconnected a projector, then close the lid(MBP goes into sleep mode). When I open the lid, it's hit or miss on if it'll come back. I usually have a USB mouse attached that provides more troubleshooting info for me.

When the screen is black, usually the mouse is lit up, which means the MBP has come back from sleep mode but the LCD just hasn't come back.

I try to hit the Fn F7 key to switch displays but I guess bootcamp drivers don't support that, cause it hasn ever worked...

Anyway, is there something I should run when I disconnect the projector???

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2021 Views 5,434 Applies to: