Question
Applies to

Is there a story to be told regarding ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0?

Nikirie asked on
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my previously fine system blue screening roughly every hour and a half starting last night. After downloading Bluescreenview I noticed ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0 was raised as an issue and upon Googling it it would appear that there are quite a few people having the same problem, and interestingly all within the past month seemingly:

So surely that rules out hardware and makes it a Windows problem, no?
3 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

No, we don't get paid a cent, this is all volunteer and we do it because we love it. Some of us do this out in the real world though, and we do get paid for it there :+)

To answer your questions, and I will go into depth because I am always here to assist and teach the best I can and simple yes and no's aren't my forte:

The reason it's more than likely the hard drive is because of what I outlined in bold in my post above. I will go into detail here:

The bug check itself is CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION (f4). As I said also, this indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. So, just looking at that, we know that on your system, there is either a process or thread that is crucial to the functionality of your system that is unexpectedly ceasing to exist, therefore causing a system crash. Next question we of course have is, why?

If we look further into the dump as I also said above, we see EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000006 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error.

What's an I/O error you may ask? An I/O error is when any hardware device (hard disk, flash drive, etc) cannot perform its basic input/output actions such as reading or copying data. When this is the case with a hard disk itself, or any storage related media, it's due to the device PHYSICALLY failing. Do note that with hard disks, the connections can be faulty as well (i.e the SATA cables from the controller on the board to the hard disk itself).

You would be correct in assuming we deal with this error all the time. The fact of the matter is though, ntoskrnl.exe faults and or culprits happen because Windows has NO idea what happened, really. Think of it like this, in your situation especially. Windows is doing its usual thing, monitoring calls from various devices and its drivers, IRQ's, etc, and then all of a sudden, one of its core processes and or threads randomly ceases to exist. Windows says to itself 'Well, I certainly cannot run without this, I am not sure what caused it because I was not notified, so I am just going to crash real fast to prevent further damage. By the way, sorry, I don't really know anything. All I see is csrss.exe (core / critical system process) crashed and I think it was the Windows Kernel (it wasn't).

In most software issues, this is not the case. Let's say for example your issue was Norton antivirus causing NETBIOS conflicts (completely hypothetical, but you'd be surprised how much Norton causes conflicts) and therefore causing a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check. Windows WOULD in most cases be able to tell you what happened without the assistance of something like Driver Verifier to monitor. In hardware issues though, it's entirely different. Interestingly enough, long before you visually see the blue screen, the crash could have happened seconds or even sometimes few minutes before. With this said, in most hardware related issues, it's memory corruption and Windows has an incredibly hard time trying to understand what happened because at times, depending on how long ago the crash actually happened before you visually SEE the crash, Windows cannot trace through the vast amount of memory corruption that may have occurred.

This is why we must rely on diagnostic tools once we get the evidence we need to have enough to say 'Go ahead and run Seatools' or things like Memtest if it's believed to be a RAM issue, etc.

Absolutely.

----------------------------

Also, I saw you mentioned you have an SSD. Be 100% absolutely sure it is at its latest firmware. When SSD's aren't on their latest firmware it can cause an entire slew of problems.

Regards,

Patrick
Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress