Is it possible to create my OWN restore points rather than having Windows 7 create them for me?

I believe I read on this website that Windows 7 creates restore points for me, every week or so.  Either that, or I am dreaming!

What I would like to do, is disable the automatic restore point app and be able to create my own that I can keep for months, or years for that matter!

Is this possible?

My apologies beforehand if this question has been asked a million times before - I scanned through and could not find this exact problem.

Thank you in advance,

Nancy

Answer
Answer

To change the interval between system restore points in Win XP, the registry key RPGlobalInterval is changed. This key doesn’t exist in Windows 7 (not in my version anyway), but it will not cause any harm if you create the key and it is not accessed by system restore as you can simply delete it.

Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.

Right-click ‘white’ space in the right pane then select New > DWORD, name it RPGlobalInterval and set it to the value you want (entering 86400 will set the interval to 24 hours in seconds).

To test it out, set it initially to a low value, say 21600 (6 hours) and check the results over a period of several days.

If you’re apprehensive about making registry changes, backup the registry (or create a system restore point) before making any changes.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
You're probably using the wrong tool if you intend to keep restore points for months or years. They are designed so that you can back-track in case something goes wrong. Going back weeks or months is unlikely to work reliably.

If you wish to have an ability to go back a long way into the past then you should create system images, either with the native image creation tool (which I find rather marginal) or with a third-party imaging tool such as Acronis True Image. To use them effectively you need to split the hard disk: Use drive C: for your system and program files, drive D: for your data.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2019 Views 811 Applies to: