Question

Q: Windows 7 Not Booting This thread is locked from future replies

I installed the last Windows updates last night, and this morning when I tried to boot up my computer, it worked, but it froze when I tried to run explorer so I had to do a forced shutdown.  I then was unable to do a system restore, and now I'm getting the following message:

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  It goes on to ask me insert the windows disc (which I don't have), and goes on to say "An error occurred whil attempting to read the boot configuration data".  What can I do to restore windows off of my harddrive?  Thanks.

Answer

A:

If you can get a hold of the installation media (borrow one from a friend), you can run the startup repair by booting from the DVD. That is probably the easiest way to get back up and running. The other ways would also involve using the DVD.

--

Dustin Harper
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***
http://www.mstechpages.com  Microsoft News, support, FAQ's and much more!
"HJ-Vancouver" wrote in message news:b5f48c53-725c-445c-a4d9-d5412c522a76...

I installed the last Windows updates last night, and this morning when I tried to boot up my computer, it worked, but it froze when I tried to run explorer so I had to do a forced shutdown.  I then was unable to do a system restore, and now I'm getting the following message:

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  It goes on to ask me insert the windows disc (which I don't have), and goes on to say "An error occurred whil attempting to read the boot configuration data".  What can I do to restore windows off of my harddrive?  Thanks.

Dustin Harper *** Email address is removed for privacy *** http://www.mstechpages.com --- Windows Help and Support Page
Dustin Harper
There is no such thing as a dumb question. If in doubt, ask.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 688 Last updated: November 27, 2017 Applies to: