How to restore VHD file backup?

orignal title: VHD file?

I did my first system backup using the back up and restore in Windows 7.  I had it copy the file to my external hardrive.  It comes up as a .VHD file.  How do I open that?  I tried to use the restore option but it says there is no backup to restore. Is it because the backup was not completed due to some files being skipped?  I do see the large .vhd file on my external harddrive. 

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2019 Views 229,720 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Ronda,

The reason why you’ve a VHD file is because you’ve created a system image backup. A system image includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard drive or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it is a complete restoration; you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced.

You wouldn’t be able to restore VHD files using backup and restore center. You can mount the image by following the steps below.

Method 1: Steps to mount VHD files in Windows 7

a.    Open Start Menu, right-click on Computer and click Manage.

b.    Click on Disk Management.

c.    Click Action -> Attach VHD and specify the external hard disk location on your computer.

Check out the section in the link below about how to extract files from a system image (advanced)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/11/12/recovering-your-files-in-windows-7.aspx

Method 2: How to restore your computer from a system image backup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Restore-your-computer-from-a-system-image-backup

For more information about system image backup, you can visit the link below

Learn more about system image backup

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/10/31/learn-more-about-system-image-backup.aspx 

Backup and restore: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this information is helpful.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Ronda,

I guess you’ve selected the recovery partition instead of selecting the drive where you made the backup and that is when you receive this error message. I would suggest you to select the drive where the VHD file is and not the recovery partition which is basically used to restore the computer to its default factory settings. Once you select the right drive follow the steps as mentioned earlier.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.