How to restore factory settings and reinstall windows without CD or downloading anything from internet

My computer (ASUS U56e, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 6 months old) has become infected with malware (namely IncrediBar and Privitize VPN, which I understand are both browser hijackers).  The offensive programs and (I hope) all components have been uninstalled and deleted, yet the computer is still running slow and freezing on occassion.

We want to restore the machine to its original state, but when we got the computer we didn't create a system image, so we can't restore to this point.  The earliest option it is giving us for system restore is 3 days AFTER the malware appears.  I can't find a way of getting to an earlier point - any ideas? 

I don't think we can restore the factory settings because the computer didn't come with a Windows installation cd, so we won't be able to reinstall Windows after we do this.  We also can't download Windows 7 as an ISO file from the internet because the browsers (IE and Chrome) aren't working properly - this may be because the browser hijackers have altered our DNS settings - ??  I can sometimes get IE to work by opening it from Programs/Accessories/System Tools/IE -no add-ons, but when connected to the internet the computer freezes usually within minutes.  I'm thinking about using this to download Firefox and then seeing if we can use the internet for long enough to download a proper malware remover, which can recognise the browser hijackers.

What I would also really like to know is, can I safely restore to factory settings and reinstall Windows using Windows Update or something?  I have our Microsoft Product Key.

Thanks in advance.

Sian

Question Info

Last updated February 29, 2020 Views 6,195 Applies to:

You create the recovery disks as per Asus instructions, see their help pages

And or you use the hidden recovery partition, again as per Asus instructions (If you do this you should still create the recovery disks)

With some Asus PC's hitting F9 key will take you to recovery options

NB Recovering to factory condition will destroy everything on the PC

PS Those two malware infections were only installed by the user downloading something

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, ok so I won't restore factory settings.  Is it too late to create the recovery disks though?

How do I use the hidden recovery partition?  This laptop was brought to us by a very stupid woman who threw away everything inside the box except the laptop (including the power cable and everything else which I'm guessing was instructions too).

We are novice users, and accidentally clicked on the wrong download link on a web page, which is how we got these things.  Needless to say, lesson learnt!

Sorry this didn't help.

At this stage, I really don't care about losing anything on the pc, i.e. files or stuff I have added.  I just want it to work.  When you say 'destroy everything', does that mean that Windows won't start?

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

At this stage, I really don't care about losing anything on the pc, i.e. files or stuff I have added.  I just want it to work.  When you say 'destroy everything', does that mean that Windows won't start?

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Windows 7 installed by the factory and don't have a disk.  Current program will not accept updates and I'm told that I have to reinstall Windows 7.  I have already backed up all the files but the system will not allow me to reinstall 7 without a disk.  What do I do?

Sorry this didn't help.