How to fix the boot sector of Windows 7?

Original title: I Need to Fix the Boot Sector, I think

I think I damaged the boot sector of the HD where I have W7.  I'm running a ASUS Maximus II Formula motherboard with two 1TB SATA HDs in RAID 1 and one 320GB SATA HD with W7 on it.  This MB uses Marvell drivers for the SATA interfaces.  During the boot the Marvell message "Marvell 88SE61XX Adapter BIOS 1.1.0.L70d installing" (or something to that effect) appears for about a minute.  It used to be so fast I couldn't read it.  After it is finished the message "No disk found" appears.

I have attempted to use the "Repair Computer" function on the W7 installation disk.  It's depending on an "image" of the machine that's stored somewhere off the machine.  Since I'm one of those folks that would have to do lots of "Hoop-Jumping" to make an "Image" due to some decision at Microsoft to not deal with having an "Image" on a RAID array, I don't have an "Image" available.  My next attempt was to try to re-load the driver for the SATA drives.  Since during the trouble shooting I've done to date, I've been able to read the disks to attempt to find those drivers (I have them on the RAID array for use after I upgraded to W7), I believe the driver isn't damaged, just the boot sector that tells the machine where to look for W7.

Can I "re-install" W7 on the single HD where it's currently installed to "fix" the boot sector to achieve the repair without loosing the files on that HD?

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2018 Views 51,914 Applies to:

Hi Robi,

You don’t have to perform a re-installation of Windows 7 in order to fix the boot sector. I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned in the link given below.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the lead.  I looked at the "command prompt" option during my agony and opted not to go that way since I had no idea what to enter as "commands".  One of the options in the page you recomended has a clue that is interesting; the "NTLDR" shows up periodically when the machine is operating correctly, especially if I remove the EIDE drive that has the WinXP OS on it.  I did an upgrade to W7 Home Premium from XP.  When I did the install I had the EIDE drive installed so W7 could see it.  The install went OK but I did get the "No NTLDR found" message several times after the initial W7 install but it went away after some work.  Please keep in mind, just because I have some pretty sophisticated hardware, does NOT mean I know all that I should to keep it operating correctly.  I was trying to do some over-clocking with the MB and pushed the PCI clock too far so the MB re-set and came up with a blank screen (as in black).  Every thing went over the cliff (much more dramatic that down hill) after that

Do you think the fix for the NTLDR issue is a good place to start? 

I'm adding this a day after the above.  When my machine was working correctly, I continually got a screen that gave me the option of W7 or a "previous version of Windows" as part of the start-up.  Is this indicative of the NTLDR in operation?

And this is an hour or so after the above.  I got as far as the screen showing: "x:\Sources>Bootrec.exe" followed by the options shown in the Microsoft web page for this problem.  I tried the command: "/FixBoot" followed by "Return".  The answer I got was: "'/FixBoot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."  I then tried several of the other commands with the same result.  What am Idoing wrong?  I have the SATA drives set to "RAID" in the MB BIOS.  Do I need to change them to a more standard setting; I can't remember what the other option is for this MB so I'm being a little careful here.  I read another post for a similar sounding problem that was fixed by this type change.

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to type: Bootrec.exe/FixBoot, not just /FixBoot.

Hope this helps.

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.