classpnp.sys stopping Safe Mode boot

So, due to a drastic system crash a couple months ago, a lot of my files are locked from my use thanks to those wonderful ACLs. Now, I know I should be able to reset these in safe mode, allowing me to once again play my music and movies once again (yay!). The catch is, booting into safe mode hangs on classpnp.sys for several minutes before subtly rebooting. I can't find any info about what could be wrong, and I can boot normally, so I thought "hey, I've actually paid for this version of Windows, so maybe I'll use Microsoft support for this". No such luck. When I get to the "Enter your product I.D" page, it simply will not continue. I've tried on my Mac in Safari, Chrome and Mozilla, and on this Windows box I've tried IE, Mozilla and Chrome. All the same result. And they're all up to date, so I presume its a error on their end and am giving up on getting my money's worth of support.

Anyways, moving on. Anyone got any idea as to what may cause classpnp.sys to hang in safe mode? Sorry if this is a little ranty, but I'm really frustrated after trying all day to do this one thing...

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

2.9ghz duel core, 4GB DDR2 800 mhz RAM

Kaspersky Pure, up to date as of this afternoon

Any more details needed, just ask

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2019 Views 13,006 Applies to:

Hi Mr Tony Man ,

- Are you able to boot the computer in normal mode?

Follow the methods listed below:

Method 1:

Follow these steps:

a. Boot your computer to Windows recovery mode.
b. Click “Command Prompt”.
c. Enter the following command and hit "Enter":

rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys classpnp.old

Restart the computer and see if the issue gets fixed.

Method 2:

Perform a repair installation of Windows 7.

Follow these steps:

a. Log in to an administrator account on your computer.
b. Disable antivirus software, other security program and any third-party firewall.

Note Ensure to enable the antivirus software, security program and firewall after successful installation.

c. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD onto the DVD drive.
d. While still in Windows 7, click on the “Run setup.exe” option in the AutoPlay window.
e. When the User Account Control (UAC) message is displayed, click "Yes".
f. Click the "Install Now" button to start the installation.
g. Click the "Go online" to get the latest updates.
h. Check the "I accept the license terms" box and click "Next".
i. Click the "Upgrade" option.

Note During the installation process, your screen may flash and computer will restart a few times.

Follow the on-screen instructions and proceed with the installation.

After booting to the desktop, perform Disk cleanup to delete unwanted files.

Note You may have to activate your copy of Windows.

Also see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

Warning

Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

17 may 2012 classpnp.sys.  tried above .. same problem freeze lockup. keyboard does not respone. num lock caps lock do not function. nothing functions.. stuck on splash screen or before splash screen. no mouse and no keyboard response. same in safe or real mode.. I have been fighting this problem for years with no answers.. updated drivers more times than I can count. This motherboard dfi lanparty jr gforce 9400 t2rs. Functioned perfect in vista; but, Refuses in windows 7. I have replaced every thing in this computer: windows, hard drive, ram, cables, power supply, etc. It stil locks up and freezes loading drivers. Errors show in log file. Repair does not fix boot problem. The last thing I can think is to replace is the hard drive controller chip with pci or pci-e card. I read rumor that this chipset model has a 'bad bit write' error in hardware. All hardware diagnostics come back with out error. log error files show bad drivers. That does not make any sense because dozens of drivers updates over 3 years have not fixed the problem. I never get the error when windows is functioning. Only freeze, lockup when booting cold or warm. A few reboots gets it running windows again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.