Can't Repair my Windows 64-Bit after 'missing operating system error'

Help!

Ok so I'm a total windows newbie, I don't understand any of the windows jargon and I'm looking for as simple an answer as possible please!
Today when I turned on my alienware aurora ALX (after the alien head popped up and loaded) and error message popped up stating 'missing operating system'. I read through a couple of sites and tried using my windows 64-bit CD to reinstall windows. I went into BIOS and set the CD to boot first and all was well for a few minutes. The screen loaded and I selected my language but then, where people had said there would be a repair option, my computer went straight to the partition screen. I tried selecting the only partition that appeared and clicking next but another error message appeared stating 'Can't create new partition'. I could not procede from there so I shut everything down. (im on a mac right now)

Someone please help,
Samuel Knight 

Is the win7 cd an actual MS win disk, or an Aurora recovery disk?

If a recovery disk it doesnt have all the options that a MS win7 dvd has

If an MS win dvd, then there will be no option to repair if no win installation is found

Is there any indication given on the size of the partition shown as available?

When you  first pwr on, is there any shortcut key to run Diagnostics? - on the bios screen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank for a reply Palcouk,

The CD included is an MS windows 7 64-bit disk but I also have a Alienware Aurora resource disk which I can use to run diagnostics. I have run the tests on the resource disk and on the BIOS but they all come back fine. So i'm pretty surre that is a MS win dvd. But do you now anyway to recover my data without the 'repair' option?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just checked my original order and it says that it comes included with the Alienware Aurora resource DVD and a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit DVD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you boot from the MS win dvd, and it shows a partition, is there any indication of the size of that partition?

You dont get any of this when booting from the MS win dvd?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah I dont get the scrren on that site, the problem with booting from my windows CD is it doesnt give me an option to repair. It skips that screen where you can choose to either 'repair' or 'install' and goes straight to a partition screen. The only partition is one with 600 gigabytes of memory left which is exactly the amount of free space I had left on my oprevious windows client. I'm guessing this means that all my previous data is in a seperate location because it does not apear as a partition on the partition screen. (when I try to click next, using my 600 gig partition, it gives me a 'Cant create new partition or load an existing partition' error)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The 600gb partition should be nothing connected with the previous partition and its free space.

The Dell specs do not show the make of drive on this sys, they may be available to you if you go to Dell support and enter your Tag#

I would download/create the HD makers free testing utility, eg SeaTools for Seagate drives and see what is reported for the drive

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the answer I just wanted to know what the seatool drivers would let me do?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

tSceondly how will I check he driver with these SeaTools considering I cant run them on my PC (I cant boot it). Is it a file that I can burn from a mac and use pre-boot on my PC

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh I just checked the two hard drives in my alienware and they are both seagate drives. I dont know if that helps or anything...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This issue most likely occurs if there is a hard disk failure.
I would suggest you to contact the computer manufacturer for assistance related to this issue.
http://support.dell.com/

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 21, 2017 Views 526 Applies to: