Boot Error/D Drive Won't Load in DOS

Here is the short description of the problem I'm having. I'll post a longer one below.

I am unable to start Windows 7 (Professional, 64 bit), and am trying to fix the boot files on my Dell N5010. In trying to resolve the problem in DOS, I noticed that when I type D: to load my D drive, DOS hangs while it tries to load the drive. As it turns out, trying to load the D drive simply freezes DOS; even pressing ctrl+C doesn't work. I end up having to exit DOS (by clicking the "X" in the right hand corner, as I can't type 'exit' in the frozen window) and then open a new window to be able to do anything again. My HDD is fully functioning when I boot into Ubuntu, and the disk utility in Ubuntu says it's healthy. Unfortunately, because I can't load the drive, I can't use the bcdedit or the bootsect commands to fix the problem.

The whole story:
Sometime last week I closed my computer to put it into sleep mode, and when I went to open it ten minutes later I got an error message saying Windows was unable to boot. I immediately went to run startup repair, but when it went to run, the blue Windows 7 background would load, however the recovery console would not load; I would be left staring at the blue Windows 7 background. I tried booting the recovery console off of my Win 7 install disc, and encountered the same problem. I booted off the install disc again and was able to access DOS by pressing shift+F10 at the language screen. I was able to access startup repair from my Win 7 installation disc through DOS and this time the window would actually load, but it would search indefinitely and never finish searching for problems (I allowed it to run for nearly 16 hours). I was exploring a little in DOS and when I tried to run bootsect to fix the MBR on my D drive, DOS would hang until I pressed ctrl+C to break. That's when I found that DOS wouldn't load my D drive. I don't have a problem accessing the files on the drive through the disk utitility in Ubuntu (which I've been running off a flash drive for the last week), so I could back them up to my external hard drive if worst comes to worst, but I'd really prefer not to go through the hassle of doing a clean install. Any help would be greatly appreciated, either regarding loading my D drive or allowing me to boot in Win 7.

-Mike

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2017 Views 152 Applies to:

Hi Madhops,

I see that you are unable to boot to desktop screen. I will help you with this issue.

1.      Did you make any changes to the computer recently?

2.      Which security software is installed?

Let us try these methods to check the status of the issue.

Method 1.

Unplug all external devices, remove any disc from the dvd drive and restart the computer to check the status.

Method 2.

I would suggest you to refer to this article to check if this helps.

Resolving stop (blue screen) errors in Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Important: System Restore will not revert any of the non-system files like documents, email, music, etc. to a previous state. These types files are completely unaffected by System Restore. If your intention with this tool was to recover a deleted non-system file, try using a file recovery program instead of System Restore.

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found, then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on that sector might be lost.

Let us know if you need further help with any windows issue. We will be glad to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I haven't made any recent changes to my computer, and I currently have Norton Antivirus installed. Even after unplugging all external devices and drives, my computer still will not boot into Windows.

Also, when I previously mentioned that startup repair simply loads the blue Windows 7 background, I was not referring to the blue error screen, it is simply the default windows 7 background. That's all that happens; the program just does not execute.

When I go into the boot options and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and then proceed as normal, the error message I get reads:
 "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

There are then some instructions advising me to restart my computer, remove recent hardware, etc. (Thing's I've already done) and then a line at the bottom saying

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA800635DBD0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.