ASUS Notebook genuine windows 7 format

Hi, I purchased a ASUS laptop second hand laptop from my friend 2 years ago, and now I am about to format my windows 7 and I afraid that I might lose the genuine windows after format, and I just realize I didn't not get any CD from him when I purchase this laptop. So does windows 7 need CD to format ? or just need serial code ??? Please Help

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2018 Views 5,014 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I would like to know what can I do to format my notebook, if I only have the code and I sent it to PC-repair shop to format, can I get back my genuine windows (Perhaps they have the CD ???)

You should be able to take your notebook to a reputable computer repair shop and they will have the ISO you need for your version of Windows - whatever version your COA is for (it'll say on the sticker).  Just make sure of the following things:

1) Tell them what you are wanting done and let them do it! Have them install the Genuine product using your key, and download the specific drivers you need from Asus.

2) Keep a copy of the key for your records, you'll need it in the future. Have them burn or supply you with a DVD of the Genuine Windows minus the COA, which you already own. (that'll reduce the price to a few dollars for the software).

3) Have them do a complete antimalware and antivirus clean-up of your computer and do a reformat and reinstall of Windows.

These should be basic services that they offer at low prices. Just remember, you already own your copy of Windows - that's the COA / Serial Code / License key. What you are lacking is the System Disk (ISO image)  that contains the actual software for Windows. What you are paying for when you buy the retail version is that COA code, the actual disk part is a very small percentage of the price.

Last point:  given that your computer is infected with malware / viruses, though you can download and burn an ISO image yourself, you should not do so until you have a clean computer, which takes you back to the computer store. You can do it yourself, but as a newbie I'd advise against it, lest you carry a virus over onto your 'cleaned-up' computer.

One last option:  If you know someone who has a Windows System Disk for your version of Windows, you could borrow that and format your computer using that disk, then install it using that disk, and activating it with your existing COA key. That would save you a lot of time in downloading and the cost of a repair shop visit. It all depends what you are comfortable with.

Why not post here what you decide to do and one of us can walk you through the specific steps you'll need to follow.

BearPup

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Computers no longer come with any discs and you should make recovery CD's in case of drive failure.

They usually also have a hidden recovery partition that allows you to restore your computer to factory defaults (how it was when new). Usually will self activate.

Retail CD's are exactly that, something you can purchase and come with a product key for activation.

The links I posted are to ISO images of the different flavours of Windows 7 that you can burn to DVD and use to install Windows. The biggest drawback (PITA) is having to download all of the correct drivers for your specific Make/Model. One you've installed with one of that style dics, you then need to use the product code shown on your COA sticker.

Hope this clears it up a bit for you :-)
https://ocdcomputing.wordpress.com/

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.