Annoying messages "Server Busy" Every time I switch on my desktop or laptop

Every time I switch on my desktop and/or laptop I get a "Server Busy" message.  It offers buttons to "Switch To" (highlighted) ""Retry" and "Cancel" (greyed out)

This started about 3 months ago after an update.  I run Windows 7 on both devices and a wireless router.  From time to time the desktop refuses to load from the internet or any MS Office programs.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2019 Views 95,346 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the question on Microsoft Community forums.

As per the issue description, you are getting "Server Busy" error message. Please answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

Please answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

1. Is this error occur when you launch a specific application or randomly?
2. Are you aware of making any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

It sounds like you have an installed program configured to access the internet and perform an operation, such as check for updates for that program.

a. The 'server busy' message is appearing because the program is trying to access the internet before the connection is completely ready.

b. It could be any program like an Antivirus program that has program update options.

c. You will have the settings inside the program to configure the way it updates.

Method 1:

Run the network troubleshooter and check.

Refer:

Using the Network troubleshooter in Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Using-the-Network-troubleshooter-in-Windows-7

Method 2:

Step 1:

Check if the issue persists in Safe Mode with Networking.

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Safe Mode with Networking starts Windows in safe mode and includes the network drivers and services needed to access the Internet or other computers on your network.

Refer this link to boot into Safe Mode:

Start your computer in safe mode

Advanced startup options including safe-mode

Step 2:

If you do not face the issue in safe mode, then put your computer in clean boot and check for the issue.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once you are done with clean boot, please follow the section ‘How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot’ under ‘more information’ in the article to put your computer back to normal startup.

Also, check if you get any error message in the event viewer.

For more information, see:

What information appears in event logs (Event Viewer)?

Refer this link to open the Event Viewer:

Open Event Viewer

Hope this information helps. Please reply with the status so that we could help you further.

68 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.