advanced recovery methods doesn't work within win 7 pro 64 bit

when i click on advanced recovery methods within win 7 pro 64 bit (trying to restore image file from 2nd hard drive on computer) i get the following message "could not find required recovery files".  I get this message even if i just created an image on the 2nd hard drive.  I've tried both manual and automated creation of image. I've check the backup service and it seems set correctly - manual/local system.  I've turned the service off, shut down system, rebooted and restored service and did 2nd shutdown and reboot - no joy. I tried sfc /scannow & startup repair - no errors reported / problem not fixed.  i reviewed event logs - find nothing.  The image exists because i can restore it using either the recovery or the os install disk. this may be related to the second issue only 1 image is saved even though the settings i have should allow multiple images. I have plenty of free space on 2nd drive over 600gb.  the image file size is only about 50gb.  I've checked the 2nd drive for errors - find none.  Help
|
Answer
Answer

Open Regedit and check the following registry enters:

1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidConfig DWORD=1
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidSystemImageBackup DWORD=1

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\SystemImageBackupLastBackupDrive=
4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\SystemImageBackupLastBackupDrive=

For enries #3 and #4 "LastBackupDrive" should have the 'Data' field set to the drive letter where you created/stored the backup.

Are these values correct?

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2021 Views 4,339 Applies to: