System image recovery stops partway through

Hello all,

I had to send my laptop in for an RMA, so I made a system image of my drives using the Windows 7 backup utility.  I have a single 250GB hard drive which is partitioned into two different drives.  My C: had mostly Windows 7 files and some programs while my D: had game installations and was used for general storage.  When I received the laptop back (they just had to replace my DVD drive), I noticed they reformatted my hard drive and threw Windows Vista back on the thing, but the partitions still looked to be the same as before.

My system images were stored on a 1TB external drive, so I booted off of a Windows 7 Recovery CD and attempted to restore the C: and D: drives.  After 13 minutes in the progress bar reaches about 1/3 of the way in.  The hard drive activity light switches from always on to just flickering every couple seconds and no more progress is made.  I've given it over an hour just sitting at this spot, but no matter how much time is given, the restore does not progress.

I've tried changing different options in the restore utility (only restoring one drive, formatting the drives to match the images and not), but no matter what I do, I get the same problem.  I've also tried running the system image recovery from a Windows 7 disk and from within Windows 7 after a clean install.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  When I made the system image, I was told it was successful.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2018 Views 654 Applies to:
Answer
I had also posted this on SevenForums and worked through the problem there.  The problem ended up being that I simply was not giving the recovery wizard a long enough time to complete a task that did not show progress through the progress bar.  I guess it was misleading that the first third only took 15 minutes and then you had to wait over 3hrs in order to see more progress.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.