Boot problem - No boot device found

Each time I start up the system the boot file cannot be found. I select the "Repair Start Up" option and it completes it successfully with following detail: 

Root cause found: The partition table does not have a valid System Partition. Repair action: Partition table repair. Completion successfully. After this the system will start up. As mentioned, I have to do this at every start up, so I'm wondering why this partition table disappears when I shut down the desktop.

I should mention that this problem started at the time I downloaded and installed the True Image Backup software. The installation could not complete and one possible solution to the problem was to stop the antivirus program. At that moment I noticed that the avast antivirus was hanging and I was not able to kill the process. So I restarted the system, using f8 to get the safe start option so that I was able to uninstall the antivirus program. I then tried to install another antivirus application and when installation was almost finished got the message that it was unable to complete installation. I tried to install another Backup solution (Paragon), but also this one failed. On the other hand, I was able to install the Firefox browser. 

Any help is welcome!

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2018 Views 15,007 Applies to:
Answer

Acronis TIH 2010 Image Backup and Recovery procedure:

Software you will need:
1) Acronis True Image home 2010
2) Partition Wizard Home Edition (Bootable CD version):
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
Create the ‘Bootable CD’ and verify you can boot from the CD.

Backup Procedure:
1) Install Acronis True Image home 2010 on your “A” drive.
2) Create an Image Backup of just the Windows partition on your “A” drive (exclude all other partition from the backup). The backup destination should be the third partition (Windows, Data and Backup partition) on your “B” drive. Give the destination folder a unique name (Example: ATHI2010_MMDDYY)
3) Create an Acronis Rescue/Recovery CD.

Restore Procedure:
Start by Booting from the Rescue CD and choose Acronis. Then from the main True Image Home 2010 display locate the Menu bar at the top of the Window follow the steps below.

1) Click on the ‘Recovery’ pull down and choose ‘Disk and Partition Recovery’.
2) From the ‘Recovery Wizard’ click ‘Archive selection’ and use the ‘Browse’ button to locate the image backup partition and folder, click on the backup folder and then the (.tib) file and click ‘OK’.
3) Left side of Recovery Wizard, click on the ‘Recovery method’ option and choose ‘Recover whole disks and partitions’. Click ‘Next’.
4) ‘What to recover’ screen: Only place a checkmark in the NTFS box and the 100MB System,Reserved partition.  This partition should also be ‘Flagged’ as (Pri, Act.).  Click the ‘Next’ button.
5) Settings of Partition: In the ‘Specify recover settings of Partition C’ you must set a partition location, so click on ‘New Location’ option. In the ‘Partition Destination’/’New Partition location’ window you should see the current partition information for the disk you are going to recover to. Place a checkmark or highlight the both the System, Reserved and the Windows 7 partition and click ‘Accept’.
6) In the ‘Required Step’ located on the left side of the Recovery Wizard click ‘Finish’ option and review the details listed in the ‘Summary’. Click ‘Proceed’.
7) The Recovery operation will start (do not place a check mark in the “Shut down the computer” option. This process will take some time as you are moving data from the backup partition to the Windows partition on the same drive.
8) After the recovery has successfully completed click the ‘OK’ button. Now remove the Acronis Rescue media, close Acronis (Red X located in upper right) and reboot to Windows 7.

Acronis can be unpredictable and on a least two occasions the computer failed to boot for me, see step 9 below if this happens.

9) If you see a message to the effect that “Bootmgr is missing” then insert thePartition Wizard 5 bootable CD you created earlier and reboot the computer.
10) Check each of the partitions on your drive, chances are your “Data” partition is marked as ‘Active’ in the status column. If this is the case then proceed to step 11.
11) Right click on the data partition and select the ‘Modify’ option from the drop down list. Now pick the ‘Set inactive’ option.
12) In the lower left corner of Partition Wizard you should see a ‘Operations Pending’ box with the ‘Set inactive’ operation listed. Click the ‘Apply’ button and click ‘Yes’ to the Apply Changes prompt.
Then click ‘OK’ after the change has successfully completed.
13) Right click on the Windows 7 partition and select the ‘Modify’ option from the drop down list. Now pick the ‘Set active’ option.
14) In the ‘Operations Pending’ box with the ‘Set Active’ operation listed. Click the ‘Apply’ button and click ‘Yes’ to the Apply Changes prompt. Then click ‘OK’ after the change has successfully completed.
15) Remove the Partition Wizard CD, top left on the menu bar click ‘General’ and ‘Exit’. The computer should now reboot to Windows 7.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.