Question

Q: After installing Windows seven on my primary drive (followed the installation proceedures for 7 on 32 bit XP Pro) all works fine EXCEPT my secondary drive or any USB drive is not accessable.

After installing Windows seven on my primary drive (followed the installation proceedures for 7 on 32 bit XP Pro) all works fine  EXCEPT my secondary drive or any USB drive is not accessable. Get error message they are not available. They are in the setup bios and in devices, but in my computer if I left click I get the error message.

Azeez thanks for the response, however my secondary disk is a SATA 500 gig drive. Windows 7 will recognize DVD/CD drive but only the "C' drive (Of hard drives)> I have tried USB drives in addition to the SATA but it does not read them, only tells me they are not accessable. The one exception was the Windows easy transfer data sent to a  USB disk made prior to loading Windows 7.

Answer

A:

Hi lonnie123,

Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Forum.

Exact error message would help.

a) When you say secondary drive, do you mean external drive?

b) Have you tried other USB port on your computer?

Check if the secondry drive is a USB SATA or IDE.
Access the link  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/8df6becc-0c0b-4925-911e-df23c50ce83f  and try to follow the steps in it.

In the meantime you may also try this step before you perform steps in the link :

1. Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
   2. Right mouse click on My Computer
   3. Left click on Manage
   4. Left click on Device Manager
   5. Expand the USB list
   6. Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (in your case there is no description)
   7. Right mouse click - Uninstall
   8. Turn off the external USB hard drive
   9. Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver
      It should work

Regards,
Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 895 Last updated: March 20, 2018 Applies to: