Disk read error on loading Windows

"Hello,

Yesterday, I was working on Windows 7, not overloading or something, but suddenly I heard the sound of the HDD that you hear when it stops (when you shut-down), and thePCstopped responding except the pointer. I restarted, and it gave me: 

disk read error
press CTRL+ALT+DEL

I restarted, it sort of booted giving me the 2 choices of Windows 7:

-Start normally
-Launch repair

In start normally it loads up the boot screen but just after that it restarts. It restarted and read the HDD like "BzBzBzBz" after POST. I entered BIOS, it read it as 571 GB and some weird stuff...

I happened to have Live CD of Linux on my USB flash (on which I'm working now), I mounted Hard Disk drives, they all work! But the "Documents and Settings" folder is empty.

This problem happened before and I don't know what the cause is?

Is it the MBR, track zero or SATA controller? and please tell if I could do something through my USB flash (like launching a specific test or fix)

HDD: Western Digital 160 GB 7200 RPM SATA

Motherboard: Gigabyte, Chipset: Intel 945G
RAM: 1 GB DDR2

Thanks in advance,"

Posted before to TomsHardware.com, but no luck (as it is probably something to do with HW)

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,938 Applies to:
Answer

Hi M.Mag,

This looks to be a problem with the hard drive or hardware device on the computer.

Check if there are any bad sectors on the hard drive would suggest running chkdsk which would scan for any bad sectors on the hard drive and if those errors are repairable if would repair and if it cannot at the end of the chkdsk scan you would see a message “found one or more unrecoverable error on the hard drive” which means the hard drive is damaged.

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc. If you do not restart your computer from the disc, the option to repair your computer will not appear.

a)   Insert the installation disc.

b)   Restart your computer.

c)    Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

d)   If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.
Note:  If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

e)   Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

f)    Click Repair your computer.

g)    Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

h)    On the System Recovery Options menu, click command prompt and in the command prompt type  chkdsk /fand wait till the scan is completed and later restart the computer and check what happens.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Important: While performingchkdsk  on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this helps!

Halima S   - Microsoft Support.

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.