Question

Q: Trouble identifying the 'program' at boot that makes an error with a call to a c++ library. Restore was not enough. Any Ideas? This thread is locked from future replies

I am having Trouble identifying the 'program' at boot (after bios boot is ok) that makes an error with a call to a c++ library.  Restore was not enough to fix.  Any Ideas?

Is there a way to go through windows 7 startup step-by-step to see when/how the failure occurs?   I did a restore but that was not effective.  I may have a system image but I am reluctant to go that far back.

2)  Regarding the system image.  Is that able to be incrementally backed up?  The first one took about 18 hours.

- there are no obvious symptoms after login but I would like to identify the cause of the error and fix.  

- new computer running 64 bit Win 7.

- issue started after transferring programs from older Vista 32 bit computer.   

jjofbsoton

• Programs you are having problems with
  • Error messages
  • Recent changes you made to your computer
  • What you have already tried to fix the problem

Answer

A:

Hi Jjofboston,

Could you please answer these below questions?

1) Do you get any error message?

2) Did you tried uninstalling the program?

Check in the event viewer for application and system event logs.

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌

If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Check out the link given below which talks about Event Viewer.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer

I would suggest you to download Windows Installer cleanup tool from the Microsoft article given below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290301

Also perform clean boot on the computer.

I would suggest you to boot the computer in clean boot that is disable non Microsoft services. The purpose of disabling non Microsoft services is to check if any of these services is causing the issue. Follow the steps below to boot the computer in clean boot:

Perform clean boot and check if you have the issue.
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
1.Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
   If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2.On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
3.When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

For more information on clean boot check out the Microsoft article given below:
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135.

Hope this help!!!

Thanks and Regards:
Shalini Surana - Microsoft Support.
Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 355 Last updated: November 23, 2017 Applies to: