I have a Western Digital NAS drive, an HP HDX18 Laptop and a HTPC connected together through a BT ethernet router.
Everytime I connect the laptop to the NAS drive it starts to behave strangely.
1. It will not recognise any new UPnP devices that I plug in such as external hard drives
2. The printer stops working - all print jobs are queued until after a reboot
3. Software uninstall can take a very long time
4. The machine will not shut down. It hangs on the windows shutdown screen with the blue circle spinning
5. The machine seems to become unstable and slowly grinds to a halt
The trouble started happening when I installed the WD software. However, I cannot be sure it was this that caused the issue as I was changing other software at the time.
At the time I was running Vista 64 Home Premium. I have subsequently upgraded to Windows 7 x64 hoping that would fix it - no joy.
Further clues are that I have recently bought a HTPC and installed Windows 7 and the WD software. This works fine and does not show the same symptoms. I do suspect that the registry of the Laptop may have some corruption (at least that is what free registry check software says - I have not bought any software to fix the issues).
Do you have any idea what is wrong?