Cannot boot into windows in any mode, even with DVD

Yesterday my computer froze during the middle of a document.  When trying to reboot, it freezes on the "starting windows" screen.  I tried booting into safe mode, and it will stop at "classpnp.sys" and not go any further.

I was going to try the "repair windows" by booting from the installation DVD, but when I try to boot from the DVD, it will display the "windows is loading files" bar, and then go to straigt to the same "starting windows" animation screen and will stay there indefinitely.  

I can't figure out any other way to get into any windows program at all, the only option I even have is to either enter the BIOS menu or "boot from CD or DVD" (which doesn't work, either)

I have Windows 7 Professional 32 bit on a Gateway 9310XL computer.  I haven't added any new software or drivers for a while.

Any help is appreciated...

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,256 Applies to:
Answer
I had a similar case the other day where the poster's problem was caused by a bad RAM bank. It appears that the bank was accessed (and caused the machine to fail) when he booted with his repair CD but was not accessed when using his Linux boot CD. I suggest you take your machine to a repair shop so that they can swap RAM modules around.
ID#0128. If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click "Propose as answer". Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.