Receiving error message regarding missing or damaged dll file: MSVCR71.dll

When I boot my computer, the following error message displays each and every time:  "The program can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Exactly what is this error message, how did I begin receiving it and what can I do to fix it.  I've seen numerous so called "fixes" but I am very leary of just downloading anything that says, "I can fix your problem" because you never know who you can trust when it comes to the internet.  

This is the reason I came here w/my issue.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS?   IF SO, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU AND YOUR TIME  Obviously, this is a missing dll file problem but I am not certain as to what is the best thing to do to right the wrong...  THANKS BUNCHES,   :)

JOY    -  aka: UrMySunshine

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2017 Views 1,070 Applies to:
Answer

You appear to have some residual reference to a virus or spyware program that your virus scanner disabled. Here is how you can find out what it is:
- Click Start
- Type the word msconfig into the Search box and press Enter
- Untick every tick mark under the Startup tab.
- Click the Services tab, then tick the box that hides the Microsoft services.
- Untick every remaining tick mark.
- Physically disconnect the machine from the Internet.
- Reboot in Normal Mode.
- If this fixes the problem, restore the tick marks in groups of 8 until you find the culprit.

If this response resolves your problem, please click "Propose as answer" so that the thread can be closed. Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.