Windows 7 problems

Since I upgraded my Acer Aspire 6930 from Vista to Windows 7 I have been having many issues, including the blue screen of death twice.

Another problem is updates. Whenever I attempt to download updates it takes me directly to the vista updates page and then just sits there for ever "checking updates". In an attempt to force my system to use Windows 7 updates I went directly to microsoft.com and surfed my way to the windows 7 updates. Now it's "searching for updates on this computer" It has been doing this for approx 20 min and nothing is happening. Not to mention it won't find any because I haven't managed to download any since I upgraded...

Among many other minor issues, the last problem is the fact that when I go to programs through the control panel and click on 'turn windows features on or off' it sits there for quite a while but when it's done the screen is blank.

I'm thinking the upgrade hit a snag, part of my computer thinks it's still vista while others act like windows 7. Of note my BF who has the exact same system as I do - bought at same time - and upgraded the same day as I is not having these problems and certain features on his system are completely different from mine...

What do I do? I still have the recovery disks from when my system had Vista on it, do I try to recover it from those? I'm reluctant to use the 7 recovery disks because I assume they will have the same issues. Please help.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,958 Applies to:
Answer
I agree with your assessment that the upgrade did not go well. If it had, then Windows Update would know you have a Windows 7 operating system and not give you any updates for Vista.

1. Back up any data to external media first.

2. Restore the computer to factory condition (Vista). Boot with the first recovery disc and follow instructions. There is no reason to assume these recovery discs will not work and every reason to assume they will.

3. Once you have restored your computer to factory condition, remove all preinstalled junk you don't want. Uninstall any antivirus/security programs. Make sure the computer is optimized and nothing extraneous is running in the background. As an aside, go to Acer's website and download drivers and utilities for whatever version of Windows 7 you want to install (32 or 64-bit) and put them on a USB key or burn to CD-R to have for later. Now try your Windows 7 update. After the (hopefully) successful Windows 7 installation, install your drivers and utilities, do any Windows Updates, install a decent av, restore your data from backup.
MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.