Question

Q: Windows 7 installed perfectly. Used gpart to format the old hard drive which contained windows xp. then "a kernel file is missing from the disk. insert a system diskette and restart the system." appears. can't boot to windows 7 no matter what i do.

Windows 7 installed perfectly. I have 2 hard drives. One 500GB which is my primary where windows 7 is installed. And another 160GB which was my old primary hard drive that contained win xp 32 bit. The 160gb hard drive was partitioned into 2 partitions and i wanted to merge those two and make it to one partition. But i had to format both partitions. I formatted the second partition easily but the partition which had the windows xp didn't allow me to format it. So I used a gpart bootable disc and then formatted the two partitions again.That's where the problem started. After i restarted my computer, "a kernel file is missing from the disk. insert a system diskette and restart the system." appeared. And I can't boot to windows 7 no matter what i do. Help please. I'm really desperate to make use of my windows 7 pc again.

Answer

A:

Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and use the Startup Repair option.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

You may have to run the Startup repair option two or three times.

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,923 Last updated: November 22, 2017 Applies to: