Windows 7 installed perfectly. Used gpart to format the old hard drive which contained windows xp. then "a kernel file is missing from the disk. insert a system diskette and restart the system." appears. can't boot to windows 7 no matter what i do.

Windows 7 installed perfectly. I have 2 hard drives. One 500GB which is my primary where windows 7 is installed. And another 160GB which was my old primary hard drive that contained win xp 32 bit. The 160gb hard drive was partitioned into 2 partitions and i wanted to merge those two and make it to one partition. But i had to format both partitions. I formatted the second partition easily but the partition which had the windows xp didn't allow me to format it. So I used a gpart bootable disc and then formatted the two partitions again.That's where the problem started. After i restarted my computer, "a kernel file is missing from the disk. insert a system diskette and restart the system." appeared. And I can't boot to windows 7 no matter what i do. Help please. I'm really desperate to make use of my windows 7 pc again.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2017 Views 1,923 Applies to:
Answer
Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and use the Startup Repair option.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

You may have to run the Startup repair option two or three times.

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.