Removing hard drive causes windows 7 to not be able to boot due to windows vista boot location... HELP!

Hi,

I have a desktop with two hard drives. I installed Vista on one of the hard drives, and later on, I installed Windows 7 on the other one. so I could boot into both operating systems.

However, I no longer want Vista and I want to remove the hard drive that Vista is installed on from my computer and use it elsewhere. However, when I remove the hard drive with Vista, I can't boot into Windows 7 either. When I put the Vista hard drive back in, the desktop boots fine into both operating systems. I've tried using the original installation disc to repair Windows 7, but it couldn't even find the installation. 

I have a feeling that the boot files for Windows 7 could be on the Vista hard drive, even though I installed it on a separate hard drive. I'm not sure though. If someone could help me boot into Windows 7 using only the Windows 7 hard drive, that would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

Mikey

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2017 Views 1,403 Applies to:
Answer
I would try this:
1. Disconnect your Vista disk.
2. Set your BIOS to use the DVD drive as the primary boot device.
3. Boot with your Windows 7 installation DVD or the Windows Repair CD.
4. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.
5. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
6. Click Repair your computer.
7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.
8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.
9. When finished, remove the CD before rebooting the system.
There is a possibility that you will run into trouble with your drive letters. To ensure that you have a back-out path I recommend that you create a system image before going ahead with the above process.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.