Question

Q: Win7 Laptop Randomly Hibernates???

Hi, I'm new to this site and have been experiencing my laptop hibernating randomly the past few days while I am using it. I could be working on anything in my computer, like browsing the web, checking email, etc., and BAM! Hibernates. I know it's not a virus because I have McAfee and Windows Defender both active and they scan my laptop bi-weekly. 

I've asked a few friends at school, and they've given a few possible suggestions; the memory that is being used, or the time I'm using it, (after startup), but I've came to the assumption that it could be both. By both, I mean that once the processor passes a certain memory usage, and a certain time after then, is where the problem could jump from. Since I've thought of that solution, I've tried using less programs together, (e.g. only the browser or only Windows Live Mail), and as I've been using this solution, it has rarely hibernated w/o notice.

I'm posting this for help, and in case it happens since I post. Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

Answer

A:

Hello,

Thank you. We appreciate your work on the issue.

I would suggest you to delete the power plan and create a new one and check.

To delete a plan:

If you created power plans that you no longer use or need, delete them. You can't delete any of the three default power plans (Balanced, Power saver, and High performance).

Warning

After you delete a plan, you can't restore it.

1.      Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Power Options.

2.      If the active plan is the one that you want to delete, make a different plan the active plan.

3.      Under the plan that you want to delete, click Change plan settings.

4.      On the Change settings for the plan page, click Delete this plan.

5.      When prompted, click OK.

To create your own plan

You can create your own plan and customize it to suit your needs. For example, if you frequently use a mobile PC to give presentations, you can create a plan that keeps the display turned on during the presentations and ensures that your mobile PC stays awake.

1.      Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Power Options.

2.      In the left pane, click Create a power plan.

3.      On the Create a power plan page, select the plan that's closest to the type of plan that you want to create.

4.      In the Plan name box, type a name for the plan, such as "Giving a presentation," and then click Next.

5.      On the Change settings for the plan page, choose the display and sleep settings that you want to use when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in.

To keep your display turned on during presentations

·         Change the Turn off display after setting to Never for both On battery and Plugged in.

To keep your mobile PC awake during presentations

·         Change the Put the computer to sleep setting to Never for both On battery and Plugged in.

6.      Click Create.

If you're using a mobile PC, your plan appears under Plans shown on the battery meter. If you're using a desktop computer, your plan appears under Preferred plans. The plan that you based your new plan on is moved, and appears under Additional plans.

For more information, refer the below links:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-create-or-delete-a-power-plan-scheme

Power plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Power-plans-frequently-asked-questions

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 5,615 Last updated: July 11, 2018 Applies to: