Windows 7 Hard Drive Full after Sleep Mode

Problem occured after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. Coming out of Sleep Mode, or Logging In after computer left running unattended for several hours, C Drive is full. Going into Sleep mode/Log Off, C Drive has 377/456 available.  Have changed to Dynamic Drive and eliminated other partitions. Did not fix problem.  No error codes. Restart clears up the problem and C Drive goes back to normal space available.

Some additional information:

If computer left running and in Lock-up problem occurs over time.

Normal steps taken to fix: defrag, Minimized Services, ran Troubleshooter etc. Have run Virus Scans/Spyware Scans etc.  Have searched Forums for similar issue.  Found something in Vista forum regarding System Restore taking up available drive space.  So I have set Maximum ShadowStorage to 10GB. Won't know for a while whether this fixed the problem. I doubt it though, because default Max Shadow Storage was set to 30% = `40GB and problem was consuming 377GB.

I traced the offending files to the PC Tools application Internet Security and/or Registry Mechanic in the Common Files subdirectory.  There was an XML file in there that grew until all available drive space was consumed.  I tried to get support from PC Tools but all they suggested was downloading the current application versions, which I did, but to no avail.

I was at first unable to delete the file because it is in use when the apps are running in background. However, by changing the settings to turn them off at bootup, and using the disk cleanup application below, I was able to delete it. 

The problem has not reappeared since. 

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2018 Views 6,673 Applies to:
Answer

Hi stickinthemud,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

Are there any external devices connected to your computer?

I would suggest you to Run Disk Cleanup.

To delete files using Disk Cleanup

The following procedure cleans up files associated with your user account. You can also use Disk Cleanup to clean up all the files on your computer.

1.         Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.

2.         In the Drives list, click the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

3.         In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the file types that you want to delete, and then click OK.

4.         In the message that appears, click Delete files.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup  

Hope this information helped!

Thanks and regards

Fouzan – Microsoft support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum 

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en- US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let 

us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.