whenever i restart my computer it goes to start up recovery and the description says bad hard drive which is the drive i used to have xp on if i disconect drive computer will not start says error loading os and as far as i know there is nothing on drive

disconnected bad drive and computer says error loading os

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2017 Views 914 Applies to:
Answer
Hi yort89,

Thank you for using Microsoft Windows forum.

• Disconnect any USB devices from the computer.
  • Remove any recently connected hard disks.
    First run Check Disk and check if that helps.

Steps :

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. Click on the Computer button.

3. Right click on your hard drive and click on Properties.

4. Click on the Tools tab.

5. Click on Check Now under the Error checking section.

6. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.

7. Make sure both options are checked.
    NOTE: The Automatically fix file system errors box will be checked by default.

8. Click on the Start button.

9. You will get a pop-up window saying, "Windows can't check this disk while it's use".

10. Click on the Schedule disk check button for chkdsk to run the next time you restart your computer.

I found this resolution from searching another forum. Please take the advice with caution as changing or flashing your BIOS can have detrimental effects on your computer and should only be performed if you are completely sure you know what you are getting into.

Your first step to resolve the Error Loading Operating System issue should be to update your computer's BIOS. Check your computer's manual for information on how to do this or call the company which constructed your computer. Alternatively, if you built your computer yourself, consult the manual which came with your motherboard.

Once you are sure that your BIOS has been upgraded to its most recent version, determine which type of BIOS you are using. Each BIOS is somewhat different, and newer versions of popular BIOSes tend to change the locations of different functions and features, so consult your computer vendor, your motherboard manual, or a tech support forum for the most up to date information on how to make sure that your hard drives are interfacing properly with your BIOS.

To get to the BIOS, when you turn on the system, you will be confronted with a black screen with the manufaturer's name or symbol in the middle, if you look at the top left of the screen, you should see something like

Press F2 for boot options
    Press F12 for setup

Keep tapping the F2 or F12 key for boot options. this will take you into the BIOS.

Next see if you can boot the diagnostics partition. {F12}, then select diagnostics, once you have the diagnostics available run the memory tests and the hard drive test.

BIOS DISCLAIMER:
    Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Get in touch with the manufacturer to check if there is a BIOS update.

Good luck

Regards,
    Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support
  • Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.