Question

Q: Windows 7 will not boot! This thread is locked from future replies

I installed Windows 7 on October 27, 2009 (previously had Vista) and it was working great. Then about three days after Christmas my computer froze and said, "Operating system not found." I then proceeded to take the my computer to where I had initially purchased it, Bestbuy. After there Geek squad looked at it they informed me that in all likelihood I had a bad motherboard. I purchased a new laptop from them and had them back up my old files onto my portable HDD and was on my way. I then decided that I might as well see if there was anything that I could do to get the old laptop working. I called HP (the manufacturer of my old laptop) and was told that it could possibly be the SATA II connection on my motherboard that was bad. So, I got an enclosure for the old HDD and plugged it into the USB port on the old laptop. I went into the boot order and set it up to run the USB Hard Drive first and it would actually get to the windows loading screen! But that was as far as I could get. It would then go to a blue error screen 0x0000007B, telling me to check for viruses and such. I then tried to run system recovery and it was unable to repair it. This is what it told me:

Problem Event name : StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 10674684
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
POS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I have tried to run the Windows 7 upgrade disc but to no avail either. I would really like to save my old computer if I can but I don't know what else to do. Please help me!

Answer

A:

Hi Brock,
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message in the following scenarios:
• A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is not configured to start during the startup process.
• A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is corrupted.

Windows cannot boot from External hard drive, however since this is a Sata hard drive you can reconnect the hard drive back to the laptop to the SATA controller and access BIOS on your own risk and try to change the advance settings of the hard drive from SATA to IDE and try to boot and check if it works.

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the hard drive is detected in BIOS we may try to run chkdsk /f /r from WINRE and check if it helps.

Here are the steps to open command prompt in WINRE:

1.Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.
2.Do one of the following:
• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.
3.On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)
4.Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
5.On the System Recovery Options menu, click command prompt to open.
6.Type chkdsk /f then enter.
7.Type chkdsk /r enter.

Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,882 Last updated: November 24, 2017 Applies to: