8/15/2012 windows 7 64 update destroyed desktop and quick launch

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  Following a Windows automatic "update", my desktop and quick launch toolbar were trashed.  When I tried to launch Thunderbird from one of the remaining desktop icons, it came up initialized (no trace of my emails).

I performed a System Restore, which has me operating once again.  Some questions:
1)  How can I determine the update that caused the problem and whether it might be critical?
2)  How can I determine when this patch has been fixed, so I can re-apply it, if necessary?
3)  How can I back up my desktop and quick-launch bar so it is much less painful when Microsoft releases broken updates?

Thanks,
eegMeister

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2017 Views 128 Applies to:

1) Since there is no widespread issue like you describe caused by these updates, as far as I know, it must be something unique to your system. The only way to determine which caused the problem is to install them one by one with a restore point created for each. .

2) I doubt that there will be any fix unless it is determined that the update is infact bad.

I have personally updated 5 systems so far with no issues.

3) Since you don't really know what happened, it would be hard to say what to backup, therefore the best way is with a restore point.

Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your quick reply.  I particularly appreciate your reassurances regarding experiencing no problems personally in updating 5 systems, and of not hearing of widespread problems.

1)  With 16 updates to apply individually, with restore points, it will likely be a while before I get to them...

2)  So "bad" may be a strong word here, given what you have experienced.  Have you, like me, frequently seen quick-launch/"pinned" tasks get messed up (at least reordered) with updates?  This is the first time I've seen a desktop messed up.

3) The system log only points to a (minor) Samsung printer driver loading issue that I can only address when I'm in a physical environment with access to that printer.  I have discovered means to back up quick launch and desktop.

Thanks again for your response.  I would welcome any specific ideas...

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the exact same problem. I didn't find lead3's reply helpful at all! - this is clearly a broken update.

Sorry this didn't help.