Computer won't start after downgrade to windows 7 to windows 10

I downgraded my pc from  windows 10 to windows 7 and now it won't start. I ran the scan but still won't start. I  get the below blue screen every time it boot up.

How did you "downgrade" exactly?  Did you use the Go Back to Old OS function in Windows 10 Upgrade?  Without knowing this it is hard to advise you until you clarify exactly what you did without missing anything.

If you have the Windows 7 media I would follow Clean Reinstall Windows 7 making sure to boot the media to delete all partitions down to Unallocated space to get it cleanest as illustrated in link.  Another step in the link shows how to rescue files first. 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Boot into safe mode and upload the DMPS

We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi thank you for the quick reply, so.. I went to start -> settings -> update & security -> recovery -> go back to windows 7 -> get started and followed the procedure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If anyone can help you resolve the Blue Screen crash then Ken can do it if you can get into Safe Mode to get him the file he needs for analysis. 

Otherwise what I would do is run your Factory Recovery media, or for HP see if you can still trigger Recovery by pressing the F11 key at boot.  If not then you can Clean Reinstall Windows 7.

Or even better since Windows 7 is phasing out soon anyway, I would avoid all the problems of the Upgrade to do a Clean Install Windows 10 which will activate with the Digital Entitlement you may already have if the Upgrade had been activated on the PC, or if you do it today by the deadline you can activate it with the Windows 7 Product Key after install. 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2023 Views 798 Applies to: