Windows DVD Maker - Cannot create the DVD

I'm getting this like everyone else on a Windows 7 64 bit. The DVD burner is turned on, working, etc. I have 251 GB of free space. The problem is that this error message is so worthless, i.e. no real specifics like "out of space" , "codec error", "invalid input file", "hey, I just don't like you"  .. there is nothing to work with. The input is a home movie AVI which plays just fine in Windows media center. The "just die for no apparent reason" point seems to be 38% in Windows Media Center and 17% in Windows DVD Maker and the blank disk is kicked out. If nothing else Microsoft ought to build a fix that at least dumps some useful error messages about the failed process so there's a direction to take. At least under DVD maker the status was "Encoding" and it dies during that. Windows Media Center tells you nothing, but the vague error.

Oh, yes I did try again after a fresh re-boot and am running nothing else. Same problem.

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2018 Views 1,718 Applies to:
Answer

I'm getting this like everyone else on a Windows 7 64 bit. The DVD burner is turned on, working, etc. I have 251 GB of free space. The problem is that this error message is so worthless, i.e. no real specifics like "out of space" , "codec error", "invalid input file", "hey, I just don't like you"  .. there is nothing to work with. The input is a home movie AVI which plays just fine in Windows media center. The "just die for no apparent reason" point seems to be 38% in Windows Media Center and 17% in Windows DVD Maker and the blank disk is kicked out. If nothing else Microsoft ought to build a fix that at least dumps some useful error messages about the failed process so there's a direction to take. At least under DVD maker the status was "Encoding" and it dies during that. Windows Media Center tells you nothing, but the vague error.

Oh, yes I did try again after a fresh re-boot and am running nothing else. Same problem.

=====================================
I would suspect a compatibility issue with the .avi file.

Converting the .avi file to the .wmv format before importing
into DVD Maker may be worth a try:

The following freeware may be worth a try for the conversion:

SUPER © Simplified
Universal Player Encoder & Renderer
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER
(the mirror download site is faster)

(FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System
Restore point before installing software or updates)

After installing SUPER...open the program...
you will see two small circles in the upper left
corner of the screen...tick the TOP circle.

You may want to experiment with the settings
but the following steps should get you started...

Drag/drop your .AVI file/s into the Active field.

Output Container...choose...WMV

Video Scale Size / No Change

Left click the Encode button.

Choose: Simple Profile / OK...

Wait...wait some more.....

(FWIW..I have better luck with video if I do not
try to multi-task while a file is being converted)

When the file/s are converted...you should find them
in...Program Files / eRightSoft / Super / OutPut.

Or...you can type...Ctrl+O...to open the Save
Window and choose a save folder.

Good luck...

Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.