Windows 7 Ultimate always set to "For Logon" persistence in Credential Manager

Original Title: Windows 7 Credential Manager: How does the "persistence" works?

Hi all,

I'd like to know how the "persistence" in Win7 Credential Manager exactly works.

I've two Win7 in a LAN (one Ultimate and one Professional, both 32bit and Italian) and they've the same credentials to get into an iSeries AS400.

My problem is that the Ultimate always set the "For Logon" persistance -therefore losing the credentials at every startup- at every credential I submit, while the Professional always set "Enterprise" and -of course- mantains the credential between startup.

Since anything asks which persistence I'd like for the credential I'm putting in, I'd like to know how it works and how can I manage it.

Unfortunately the "Store passwords, certificates, and other credentials for automatic logon" article and related ones didn't help.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated December 31, 2019 Views 16,805 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Maggiacco,

-      Are you connected to the domain?

Method 1: Try following the suggestion given in the following post by “Syed N Microsoft Support, Moderator” on “Monday, May 24, 2010 4:19 PM” and see if this helps you.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7security/thread/9d109049-16c6-4d06-a6d4-1b9099941233

If the above mentioned suggestion does not help you, follow the method given below:

Method 2: Fixing the problem requires editing the group policies in the Group Policy Editor (gpedit).

Note: Group Policy Management tool is available for Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise editions only.

Follow these steps on the Windows 7 Ultimate machine:

a.    Click Start and in the Search box, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

b.    Navigate to the following location:

1.    Computer Configuration

2.    Windows Settings

3.    Security Settings

4.    Local Policies

5.    Security Options

c.    On the right hand side window of the Security Options locate “Network security: LAN Manager Authentication level”. Right click on this and select Properties.

d.    In the “Local Security Settings” tab, from the dropdown box select “Send LM & NTLM – user NTLMv2 session security if negotiated”.Click Apply.

e.    Click OK. Close the Group Policy Editor.

If you are connected to the domain network the steps given here might not help you. You may have to contact your Network Administrator for further assistance on this issue. 

Regards,
Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.