Question

Windows 7 Error: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate premissions to access them."

KaiLin asked on

Hi I am encountering an error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate premissions to access them."

The error message appears when ever I click on Window Administration tools (including control panel, windows update, Windows explorer etc) but not affecting other programs I have.

I rebooted in Safe mode and discover that all is working fine (no error message pop up when clicking on window admin tools).

I proceed with doing a clean boot -> first disable all third parties services (message still coming up), then disable windows service components (message still coming up)

I tried typing "explorer.exe" in the start->search field then highlighted right click to execute with admin rights, then received another error message "Server execution failed".

I am the administrator account on this PC - and have full access right.

The error seem to have appeared on the 11th August after Windows Updated the following:

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2536276, 2556532, 2559049, 2560656, 2563894, 2567680), and

Update for Microsoft Windows KB2563227

Security update for Microsoft.net framework 4 client profile (verson 1)

There were no installation of any other software or updates apart from the windows update.

I also tried to restore windows prior to the 10th August 2011 but that did nothing.

As the Error prevents me from from access any window admin object - I am unable to retrieve product ID and write to Microsoft Tech and ask for assistance.

I am hoping that some one here can offer suggestion of possible solutions (I really don't want to re-install window 7 and other software I got on).

Thanks.

10 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
IT Technican Enterprise Network replied on

My solution works in about 2 minutes, its a very odd error and has only happend to 3 work stations over the past 3 years, this solution does not require creating another account if local administrator is active and allows access back to the corrupted user's documents ect.

if local admin is not activated refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555910 and after completing those steps log onto the local administrator account.

Locate the user's files eg. C:\Users\[Username]\

if you cant see AppData push Alt to see the toolbar at the top of the window, select Tools>Folder options go to the view tab and select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" click okay.

navigate to AppData\Local

Select all (Ctrl+a)

Delete

*Dont delete credentials (at most it will remove their desktop background)*

This will release the error.

Luke Vermaas - Fully Qualified IT Technician for DEECD.
16 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress