Windows 7 Admin account does not have Administrator privileges?

Hey guys,

I'm having a very strange problem here. Everything I do on my computer needs administrative privileges now, or else it will not function properly. I am unable to open iTunes without them because it says that it can't access the program folder, but if I open it with privileges, it works perfectly. Whenever I try to pin a program to the taskbar, clicking the "Pin to taskbar" button does nothing. Even right-clicking the shortcut and selecting Pin to Taskbar doesn't work. I can't download any type of files on Google Chrome; nothing happens when I try to save anything. 
Chrome is also unable to save any new cookies as well, and I am also unable to watch Netflix Instant Streaming videos because of a Silverlight issue. Flash works, though. Whenever I try to delete any files or move files, in my "Documents" folder, it says "you'll need to provide administrator privileges... blah blah blah." This was working perfectly fine when I got the computer, but this just seemed to not work a few weeks ago.

I have no flipping idea what's going on any any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2018 Views 34,948 Applies to:
Answer

Hi ImBakinBacon,

1. Do you remember making any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Method 1:

This may happen if the administrator account is corrupted.

You may try creating a new administrator account and check.

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Create-a-user-account  

Method 2:

If you are unable to create user account, thenyou may try to disable User account control and check if it helps:

Step 1:

Disable UAC (User Account Control) and check the result

See How do I change the behavior of User Account Control by using the slider?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-change-the-behavior-of-User-Account-Control-by-using-the-slider  

Note: You must restart your computer when you enable or disable UAC. Changing levels of notification does not require that you restart your computer.

Step 2:

You may also try to set the Default Administrator account and check if the issue occurs.

a. Click the Start button and click All programs followed by Accessories

b. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select'Run as administrator'.

c. If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled, you will be asked for authorization prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.

d. In the Command Prompt window, type the command net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter.

e. Close the elevated command prompt.

f. Log off (in Start Menu) and you will see your new built-in Administrator account next to your current account(s).

g. Click on the built-in Administrator account display picture icon and log on to it.

Step 3:

If you are not facing any issue, then try creating a new user account and check.

Refer the link:

Fix a corrupt user profile:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile 

If the issue is resolved then try to disable the default Admin account by following the command:

net user administrator /active:no

Also enable the User Account Control.

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.